Posture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
Not a cycle issue but an office issue.

Most of my working day is spent sitting in front of a computer. I always seem to end up with a pain and a slight tense feeling between my shoulders. I think (or assume) this must be due to the way I am sitting at the desk as it never happens except when I'm at work. I've tried adjusting my chair in every way I can but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Is there anyone on here with any knowledge in this field and what could I try and do to improve matters? Personally, I feel the desk is lower than I would like but it would be pointless asking for a different one as this company would refuse to spend money on the needs of a mere employee.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Not a cycle issue but an office issue.

Most of my working day is spent sitting in front of a computer. I always seem to end up with a pain and a slight tense feeling between my shoulders. I think (or assume) this must be due to the way I am sitting at the desk as it never happens except when I'm at work. I've tried adjusting my chair in every way I can but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Is there anyone on here with any knowledge in this field and what could I try and do to improve matters? Personally, I feel the desk is lower than I would like but it would be pointless asking for a different one as this company would refuse to spend money on the needs of a mere employee.

Desk work that involves looking at a monitor? If so, the monitor should be at eye level, if its not, your company are obliged (I believe, but I may be wrong) to provide you with a means to raise the monitor, usually like a small plastic table made for raising monitors.

Secondly, maybe you need to get up and walk around more often, sounds like the cliche answer but its true, it does help a lot.

Maybe you have weaker core musles than you think and thus slump in your chair? (im terrible for this, however I set up the chair, ill end up slumped in it). Try some exercises or yoga/pilates routines for making you aware of your posture and some strengthening exercises.

One thing you may want to think about as a preventative measure for other problems is to stretch out your hamstrings regularly too, sitting at a desk all day can cause hamstrings to be shorter which can hinder you in other ways (tight hamstrings will fight to force of your hip flexors, this could cause posture issues as your pelvis isnt aligned correctly.

OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
My monitor was a few inches below eye level so I've set a telephone directory underneath it to see if that helps. 

I know I do tend to slump when I am sitting so I suppose that is the real issue.

Leah

You're entitled to a work station assesment. Check out the health and safety website. If you don't want to ask becasue you think they will refuse, just contact the health and safety department of your local council and anonymously put in a complaint.

OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
The exercise that cures this is rocking back and forth with your eyes and mouth open as wide as possible.
I've given this a go and my boss fixed me up with an appointment to see a special doctor. I must say I find this padded cell extremely comfortable.

Top Bottom