Potential carpal tunnel syndrome in hands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Over the last few weeks, I have been having some trouble with pain in my right hand. The pain is at the bottom of my hand, around the base of my thumb and just above the wrist. No tingling or numbness so far, just pain. Tried to ignore it so far, being a bloke. Sound like it could be carpal tunnel in my hand? My position has changed on my bike recently, but only to go back to the position that was recommended for me in a bike fit earlier in the year. Seems to mostly hurt on the bike when applying the brakes, which gives me the choice between pain and not braking :laugh:. It sort of comes and goes, but often seems worse after a day at my job which involves using my hands and ergo my wrists to lift heavy things. So hard to say whether cycling or work related injury.

vickster

Legendary Member
Go see your gp and potentially get a splint to wear.
It might not be carpal tunnel, could be de quervains tenosynivitis if in thumb. Google it. I get it from mouse use, Voltaren gel usually sorts it
https://www.ouh.nhs.uk/patient-guide/leaflets/files/11303Pdequervains.pdf

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Could just be position. I had similar pain in on my thumb recently, no position changes, lasted a couple of weeks but went. Could be work if doing excessive lifting. You get more numbness with carpel tunnel and it's often fingers that suffer. All I can say is write it down and see how it changes as you'll forget. Changing position does point to a cause. Was it changed immediately, as you shouldn't alter position like that - you do it gradually over many weeks. GP if worried

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Could just be position. I had similar pain in on my thumb recently, no position changes, lasted a couple of weeks but went. Could be work if doing excessive lifting. You get more numbness with carpel tunnel and it's often fingers that suffer. All I can say is write it down and see how it changes as you'll forget. Changing position does point to a cause. Was it changed immediately, as you shouldn't alter position like that - you do it gradually over many weeks. GP if worried
This most recent position that my bike fit recommended was changed back in January, didn't get on with it at first, but then changed back to it a couple of weeks ago to see if its more comfortable than my default slammed stem. However, just because the bike fit recommended it, doesnt mean that it hasn't caused injury, as it was a very unsatisfactory fit - but that's a story for another day! Also have significantly upped my weekly mileage recently, not long before the pain started.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've just been diagnosed with Carpel Tunnel problems (by a nerve conductivity test) it gets me on my ring finger and pinky and that half of my palm, I've also got problems with trapped nerves in my Elbow so 2 operations to look forwards to. :sad:

I have had CTS in both hands and have been operated on successfully.
The main symptoms for me was numbness going down the forearm and through to the hands and fingers.It was always worse at night.
The funny thing was when i was waiting for my NC test the nurse came out and said the patient before couldn't handle it and had fainted but i didn't think it was that bad.
Go and see(or video link)your GP and if he suspects CT he will arrange for a test.

Top Bottom