1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Potential frame damage/repair.

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by GrahamG, 13 Nov 2007.

1. GrahamG

GrahamG Über Member

I've noticed that the seat-tube on my 853 frame road-bike has a spot where it has visibly been filled or repaired (codged!), I bought it second-hand and have only recently put some miles on it. After a couple of longer rides (50 odd miles each) I noticed a greasy brown substance oozing out of this repaired/filled area - any ideas as to what it might be?

There doesn't appear to be any cracking to the tube that I can see, just this small area about the size of a 5 pence piece which looks like painted over filler. BTW, the bike is in Bristol but I could get a photo when back home at the weekend.

2. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

cost/benefit analysis says replace that right away surely?

3. ransos

ransos Usual suspect

Argos cycles in Bristol can do a proper repair - I had a chainstay gouge done on my mtb and you'd never know it was there. Well worth it for a quality steel frame like 853.

No idea what the ooze is.

4. Tim Bennet.

Tim Bennet. Entirely Average Member

I would have it checked out. Paint can hide a multitude of sorrows.

5. OP
    OP
    GrahamG

GrahamG Über Member

I'll take it down to them to check out - I also wouldn't mind confirmation that it is actually 853! (If at all possible.)

6. walker

walker New Member

sounds like the ooze might actually be rusty water. Can you feel/hear anything if you shake the frame?

7. Its a frame tumour. I dont know what to say. Im so so sorry.

8. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Man-Machine Staff Member

So what was it?