Potential frame damage/repair.

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by GrahamG, 13 Nov 2007.

  1. GrahamG

    GrahamG Veteran

    I've noticed that the seat-tube on my 853 frame road-bike has a spot where it has visibly been filled or repaired (codged!), I bought it second-hand and have only recently put some miles on it. After a couple of longer rides (50 odd miles each) I noticed a greasy brown substance oozing out of this repaired/filled area - any ideas as to what it might be?

    There doesn't appear to be any cracking to the tube that I can see, just this small area about the size of a 5 pence piece which looks like painted over filler. BTW, the bike is in Bristol but I could get a photo when back home at the weekend.
  2. Tynan

    Tynan Veteran

    cost/benefit analysis says replace that right away surely?
  3. User482

    User482 Guest

    Argos cycles in Bristol can do a proper repair - I had a chainstay gouge done on my mtb and you'd never know it was there. Well worth it for a quality steel frame like 853.

    No idea what the ooze is.
  4. Tim Bennet.

    Tim Bennet. Entirely Average Member

    S of Kendal
    I would have it checked out. Paint can hide a multitude of sorrows.
  5. OP

    GrahamG Veteran

    I'll take it down to them to check out - I also wouldn't mind confirmation that it is actually 853! (If at all possible.)
  6. walker

    walker New Member

    Bromley, Kent
    sounds like the ooze might actually be rusty water. Can you feel/hear anything if you shake the frame?
  7. Its a frame tumour. I dont know what to say. Im so so sorry.
  8. TheDoctor

    TheDoctor Resistance is futile! Moderator

    So what was it?
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice