Potential gravel bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Problem is the bike is in France right now so unsure of clearance. I believe some have used a smaller wheel to get around that? It`s more about the potential with the gears, frame, bars etc.
The bike has rim brakes. Fitting a smaller wheel could be a dead end.

That said my bike is a "gravel bike", insofar as I ride it on some rough gravelly stuff occasionally :smile: (28mm slicks so not too rough, but it's surprisingly capable and it's fine on unsurfaced roads and paths as long as there's no grass/mud where I lose traction) I think the best approach would be to just go for the fattest tyres you can fit.

The linked bike is supplied with 23mm tyres. The bike in this review https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/road-bikes/calibre-rivelin-review/ has 25s. You might get 28s on at a pinch. You might not.

figbat

Slippery scientist
If anybody comes here after the fact just a quick comment about brakes - gravel bikes can be made with canti- or V-brakes as well as discs. But caliper brakes are out, for the reasons described.

If anybody comes here after the fact just a quick comment about brakes - gravel bikes can be made with canti- or V-brakes as well as discs. But caliper brakes are out, for the reasons described.
Good point.
(although you can often go pretty big with calipers ... I have an early Spec. Roubaix and tried it with 32mm (and no guards). They fit, but couldn't go much bigger. That's a very good compromise size for a bike that will also see a lot of tarmac. As someone else said, chain stays are often the limiting factor - but not on my Roubaix.)

Also you upset the purists in Grav Groups if you deviate from disc brakes, single chain rings and frame bags ;-)

Top Bottom