Pothole

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S1m0n

I hit a pothole on a road in Sheffield last night. I heard a noise so stopped to check the integrity of my wheels before carrying on my way. About half a mile on I noticed that my rear light was missing (well, most of it anyway including the bit that actually does the lighting thing) so I turned around to look for it. The noise must have been the light hitting the deck. Anyway, I found the lens and the offending pothole, so I took a picture of the pothole. Whilst looking for the rest of the light, a road sweeper come down the road sucking up leaves and in all likelihood the rest of my light.
Should Sheffield council fork out for a new light for me and does anyone know how I would go about this? It was £20 after all.

Koga

I can't tell you the answer, but I will be interested to see the outcome.
Just a tip, put some tape around the light so the back and front can't come apart (light and batteries are heavy and with the shock and vibration it can come loose). It should also make it more water tights. I uses electricians tape for it.

The Horse's Mouth

Proud to be an Inverted snob!
Council have a duty under the Highways Act to keep roads in good condition. This duty includes regular inspections of roads in the area.

If the pothole had been there a long time and they should have known about it. Then you may have a valid claim.

Lots depends on its size & location (busy street/ countryside etc)

OP
OP
S1m0n

S1m0n

I've checked fillthathole and it appears that pretty much the whole of the road is on there and has been since 2011. I took a photo but it's not that great since it was on my mobile and the road was unlit.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
As Adrian says check it on fillthathole, if it's not on there then report it yourself. I reported a monster this morning that's appeared on my commute. Doubtful you'll have much joy with your light but I guess it's worth a shot :thumbsup:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
IME I would have thought 99.9% of the roads in Sheffield were on 'fill that hole' - or should be :cry:!

Our local council ignore fillthathole and only consider a pothole reported if its through their system. They also wont pay out unless the pothole has been reported citing their annual inspection being sufficient to meet their obligations. I did find a way round this by using Google Streeview to prove a pothole was there before their so called inspection.

Berties

Fast and careful!
I've put in four pot hole claims in the last two years ,hampshire I failed and was lead away screaming,Dorset had the old we check the roads due diligence bull crap,I threatened them ,still got tiddly squat,wiltshire my home turf where I constant bombard fix my street and their home site Clarence ,paid up in full ,and they even revered another to the water board who also paid up,the state of the roads annoys me ,I have also twisted my alloys to the state I replaced them,good luck taking on your local authority they would rather pay their legal team to reject your claim

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's very unlikely you will get a bean. Our Council admits it won't fill and hole that you can climb out of. There is a Good chance the light wasn't secured properly, or the lights clip failed. Happens and some lights do jump off.

What light was it.

Davidc

Guru
Not a chance of getting any joy from the council.

A cable tie round lights and the bit of bike they're bolted to helps keep them on. I don't bother and occasionally lose one.

Many of us, me included, always have 2 lights on the back where we can't see what's going on, so if one fails/ falls off/ goes flat/ gets a bit of coat or pannier in front of it and so on, the other should still be visible.

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
If your wheels are fine and you didn't crash then maybe you should look at the way you mount your light

OP
OP
S1m0n

S1m0n

My wheels are fine and I didn't crash and the light was mounted correctly. I did assume that the light was designed sufficiently well not to come off after hitting a pothole but will not make this error again.

From the advice given, it's not worth my time bothering trying to get anything off the council so I'll just buy a new light, fasten it on using my belt and braces and embrace the pothole.

OP
OP
S1m0n

S1m0n

I know that now........ They also get sucked up by road sweepers (this surprised me).

I must thank the cyclist who stopped and offered to lend me his spare rear light. Next time I will have a my own spare

Top Bottom