Potholes - watch out in York (or anywhere else)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

asterix

Comrade Member
Is this thread about the T0yota Pr1us, emblem of everything petrol heads hate, or road surfaces?

Having recently returned to York, what is clear to me is that the amount of traffic makes it very difficult to maintain roads locally. Whereas in my French locality traffic density is minute by comparison and the roads are beautifully smooth (and very narrow).

Clearly therefore, the traffic should pay. I would suggest that payment should be determined, not by pollution* but by vehicle footprint - how space it uses and its weight and by mileage. If taxing HGV's more leads to higher prices, no doubt that could be compensated for by some means, say a decrease in 'purchase' tax like VAT.

* other means could be used to deal with that, e.g. my old van is banned from entering the LEZ without incurring a penalty (although last time it was MOT'd it was as clean as it could be).

green1

Über Member
It takes a big stretch of the imagination to see how any technology can compensate for the differences between a car doing 25mpg @ 4k PA, and a car doing 45mpg @30k PA.
I wish my car did do 25mpg! more like 19~20.

green1

Über Member
Is this thread about the T0yota Pr1us, emblem of everything petrol heads hate.
What I hate about the Prius is that it's shite, and it isn't even green. If you want a green car go buy a small diesel bluemotion (or what ever that particular manufacturer calls their green diesels). Lithium mining for the batteries will never by considered green.

Drago

Legendary Member
Before the Pious has left the showroom it has already accounted for more emissions than a Hummer H2 from manufacture, shipping, 100,000 miles of motoring, and recycling. This is mainly due to the horrific amount of resources at takes to extract cadmium and ship it half way round the world to make the batteries.

asterix

Comrade Member
What I hate about the Prius is that it's s***e, and it isn't even green. If you want a green car go buy a small diesel bluemotion (or what ever that particular manufacturer calls their green diesels). Lithium mining for the batteries will never by considered green.

My car is pretty green w/o batteries. Does about 55 mpg on essence, can cruise at 130 km/h nice and quietly.

400bhp

Guru
Before the Pious has left the showroom it has already accounted for more emissions than a Hummer H2 from manufacture, shipping, 100,000 miles of motoring, and recycling. This is mainly due to the horrific amount of resources at takes to extract cadmium and ship it half way round the world to make the batteries.

I think that's an urban myth.

Top Bottom