powdercoat or buy a new frame ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jim55

Guru
bit of a dilemma here im riding fixed on a bratavus(something named like that?),its a lovely made frame made with columbus slx tubing and very nice ,however its been repainted (proper paint job from a place in edinburgh that i cant rem as it was done when i got the frame )green !not a brg thing(i had one like brg and it looked almost black in certain lights) but proper green like grass,i really dont like it and tbh the frame is slightly too big for me (standover height is touching my nads )but apart from that rides really well.i could just get this coated and use it ,but the ever so slightly too big thing would obv still b there
OR.......buy a brand new on one macinato in red (the colour and the size i want ) and transfer the parts over ( the downside to this is i have to buy forks to match -and all things considered its not the lightest of frames /fork combos,)
any thoughts?costwise il prob sell the existing frame and forks for the cost of buying (an inferior?)f/f so theres no diff there
so should i keep what iv got ?,,or buy the new one and start again:rolleyes:what would u do

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
OR.......buy a brand new on one macinato in red

got a blue Macianto if any good to you

OP
OP
jim55

jim55

Guru
il take a pic of it just now as its built up ,its defo a tidy looking frame but just a wee bit too big and its not the colour id chose

OP
OP
jim55

jim55

Guru
Taken right now
30B459C6-F29C-459C-B5E5-C46E85AE6787-18049-0000145AD48FD146.jpg

It rides really well and is a bit of quality

2 thoughts occur:

1. Keep it as it is. It looks a nice frame and if it fits and is clean and straight and you like it, you cannot do better. How often do you really look at the colour of the bike you're riding? I only see mine when I take it out of the garage and put it away. Other people see it, but they have little or no interest in the colour of your bicycle.

2. Re-colour it, by powder coat or whatver your preferred method is. If you like this frame and MUST change the colour, then change the colour. A new frame will simply not be as satisfying. You will find a million ways to justify its purchase, but you will continue to prefer this one you like so much.

I hope this has helped.

I'm right, of course.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Taken right now

Nice looking bike.
Looks like about a 25" frame 'in old money'; looking at where your saddle is, I would say keep it, & have it the colour you want, it's not too much oversized for you. (Used to have 4~5" of seat pin showing in the days when this frame was made.)

apb

Veteran
Got my Raleigh blasted and powder coated for £55 at hendersons metal cleaning in willowbrae in Edinburgh. Really nice guy, it came out looking brand new.

My frame also just touches my nads, keeps you on your toes. If you know what I mean.

OP
OP
jim55

jim55

Guru
That's where this was done apparently , thanks , they've done a good job but the powder coating place is nearer , was that price for forks as well

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Taken right now

I might be wrong but the little loop below the top tube would indicate that it is a former team race frame. The loop is where you would attach your number in the race. It should therefore be top notch quality wise.

OP
OP
jim55

jim55

Guru
Yeah , I think it was at some point , and I wouldn't want the gear bosses removed , I just want it recoloured

Top Bottom