Power Banks, techical question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I dont know but if its Chinese you can bet it is the battery

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 5412682, member: 9609"]When I test the fully charged power bank with a volt meter, I will get 5.08v unloaded, but if I test it with a light bulb (that has a draw of 0.3 amps) the voltage falls to 4.54v. I'm guessing this is too low a voltage for the camera.

Does this indicate the battery has died or some other problem? or was this sort of power bank never intended to power a device such as a camera?[/QUOTE]
I'm not great with hardware but it sounds to me like the power bank isn't regulated well enough to power the camera. To check, you'd probably need to put something like a "USB Doctor" between the powerbank and camera to see how low the voltage drops when the camera's connected. IIRC, USB should be between 4.4 and 5.25 volts, but I think when I tested a power pack that put out 1A at 4.5V, it measured about 5.7V with only the USB Doctor's 0.1A load, which is a long way out of spec the other way, but it makes me think yours starting at 5.08V unloaded probably drops too far below spec.

To figure out whether it's died absolutely, you'd need to see how many hours it powers the 300mA light bulb for and compare that to the claimed mAh. I usually reckon on losing at least a quarter to the circuitry between the 3.7v battery and the 5v output on most full-featured packs (charge indicators, regulation, and so on).

Top Bottom