Power bars...are they any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

runner

Guru
Do power bars really work? or they worth taking on my 10-15mile commute home in the evenings...will they stop me feeling tired? are they a waste of money....should i just stick to jaffa cakes? :ohmy:

oxbob

Fig rolls

RedBike

Powerbars work a treat; but I can't see them being of any use on a 15mile commute.

Your best option is probably to make sure you eat a good breakfast / dinner.

puddleglum

I have a Zamek sports bar from Germany, 'made with 20% egg white/protein' it claims.
I will let you know, but at only 144 calories, I can't see it making anymore difference than a normal cereal bar.
Eating mixed fruit and nuts on a long ride always seems to be the best help. For a 10 - 15 mile ride, I wouldn't bother, just eat good, normal meals at regular intervals.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I find Powerbars too hard to chew, especially when they are cold. They really aren't good if you have dodgy fillings in your teeth! :smile:

I like malt loaf but find that that goes for my fillings too.

If I was going to carry anything to eat on a ride (which I don't do for rides under 60-70 miles), it would be something like honey and banana (maybe jam) sandwiches. It's the only time that I choose to eat white bread (I find it easier to digest when I'm riding). Off the bike, I'd prefer not to touch the stuff.

I can't see why you should get tired on a 15 mile ride, unless you haven't eaten enough / drunk enough before getting on the bike. You should have enough stored glycogen for a couple of hours or so without having to top it up.

3-IN-One

I like to take a small bag of Sugar on Power rides and just spoon it when needed,Bearing in mind i have no teeth in my head:tongue:

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I find Powerbars too hard to chew, especially when they are cold.
Yes, they're completely useless when it's at all cold such as at the feed stations on the crap weather years of the Etape du Tour). There's lots of better makes, but fig rolls, mixed marzipan and salted cashews or even good old sandwiches are just as good.

Top Bottom