Power Meter options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member
Morning. I've got a new bike, Allez Sprint with loads of upgrades, including S Works carbon cranks on a Praxis chainset. Took it for a spin yesterday and everything was great except one thing: I really missed my power meter. :sad: Had one on old bike. This bike was/is a Dolan with full Ultegra. I looked at how the cranks attach to the bb and realised I could swap the left Ultegra crank for a 105 from Stages with a power meter fitted on it, so that was what I did and it's been brilliant. But looking at my new bike, cranks appear to fit on bike in a completely different way, so no way I could make a straight swap S Works for Stages 105 crank anyway and that's not even considering the aesthetics. So wondering what my options are for power, if I don't want to replace my cranks/chainset. Are pedals my best option?

I had a Praxis chainset on one of my bikes and the axle on it had the same dimensions as SRAM GXP.

I looked at my options at the time to fit a power meter. Choices were limited, and expensive, in doing anything with the Praxis crank and the bike in question had pedals for which there was no easy way to swap them for ones with a power meter.

Eventually I swapped the GXP bottom bracket for a Holowtech compatible one and fitted an Ultegra crankset, and corresponding 4iiii power meter, I had lying around.

Pedals would have my first choice though had in both possible.

CXRAndy

Guru
Assioma pedals seem to be very popular, fairly priced if you order from Italy. Lots of bike reviewers use them, GPLama and DCcrainmaker

Norry1

Legendary Member
Pedals are great - and they can easily move from bike to bike. I have Powertaps which are good but I'd probably buy Assiomas if I was starting from scratch now.

DogmaStu

I have Wahoo Powerlink Zero pedals on one one of my road bikes and they are really good. Just one side.

I have Dura Ace 9270 dual sided on another road bike and Stage 3 on the crank of another too. Also a Quarq spider on my gravel bike.

The pedals are as good as any of the crank-based one's I've noted above.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Morning. I've got a new bike, Allez Sprint with loads of upgrades, including S Works carbon cranks on a Praxis chainset. Took it for a spin yesterday and everything was great except one thing: I really missed my power meter. :sad: Had one on old bike. This bike was/is a Dolan with full Ultegra. I looked at how the cranks attach to the bb and realised I could swap the left Ultegra crank for a 105 from Stages with a power meter fitted on it, so that was what I did and it's been brilliant. But looking at my new bike, cranks appear to fit on bike in a completely different way, so no way I could make a straight swap S Works for Stages 105 crank anyway and that's not even considering the aesthetics. So wondering what my options are for power, if I don't want to replace my cranks/chainset. Are pedals my best option?

Pedals are more flexible, though there are a few Stages Ultegra crank powermeters listed on eBay if you want to stick with what you know

Top Bottom