power meter question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
hi - may be stupid question but as I was trundling along this morning watching numbers , I was puzzled a bit by the readings , am I right in thinking that if you are riding with a power meter up a hill you have rode many times and you want to beat your pb , power meter readings don't mean a lot without taking cadenced speed into account ? if I was going up said hill at say 4w/kg in a lower gear @ 90rpm,, I could be going slower in a harder gear at say 5w/kg @ 55rpm so all of a sudden , power meter reading alone aint worth anything without taking other readings as well ? - maybe total flannel but just what was going thru mind today - anyone able to confirm theory or willing to put me right

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Total flannel

Power = cadence x torque. Already accounts for cadence.

presta

Guru
Ming is right, power at the crank is the product of torque and angular velocity, but the efficiency of your body depends on torque and cadence - that's why we have gears in the first place. Your heart rate monitor will tell you your optimum cadence: just pick the gear which gives you the lowest HR for a given speed, or conversely, the highest speed for a given HR. Note that optimum cadence is proportional to your power output, so what's optimum at one power/speed/gradient etc won't necessarily be optimum for another.

Top Bottom