Power Meters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So not only do you not have any EVIDENCE*, now you concede that you don't actually have an OPINION either.
In the light of that, you might want to reassess this statement

Wading in on a discussion with authoritative statements like this, when you have no evidence or even an opinion, does come pretty close to a text book definition of trolling.

* The stuff you linked to is second-hand rehashing of Coyle's work, who did several studies based around Lance Armstrong's inexplicable performance improvements, and attempted to link them to his pedalling cadence. Not souplesse, cadence. I think with hindsight we might re-evaluate how much of Armstrong's improvement came from cadence changes and how much from, ehm, other sources.
I do have an opinion. As you do you. Pretty sure i've been over this.

The statement that you assume i might like to rethink?? Thanks for the offer but i shall stick with it. Pedalling efficiency comes from what is best for any given individual. If that means mashing then so be it.

The stuff i linked was a simple showcase of 3 or 4 links out of a sea of information on the matter. Disputed as it may be, the fact still remains that there are many top athletes and coaches advocating pedalling technique and efficiency. Just because that is not scientific evidence does not mean it is worthless!

VamP

Banned
I do have an opinion. As you do you. Pretty sure i've been over this.

The statement that you assume i might like to rethink?? Thanks for the offer but i shall stick with it. Pedalling efficiency comes from what is best for any given individual. If that means mashing then so be it.

The stuff i linked was a simple showcase of 3 or 4 links out of a sea of information on the matter. Disputed as it may be, the fact still remains that there are many top athletes and coaches advocating pedalling technique and efficiency. Just because that is not scientific evidence does not mean it is worthless!

:rolleyes:

Keep digging

But who is to say whether changes in the shape of the peanut actually correlate to improved performance on the road and how they correlate? Wattbike are bound to be pro-peanut!
No one is to say and even if they do, do you have to believe them? You makes your own mind up or you experiment yourself and find out with trial and error. I like the latter personally as it doesn't rely on someone else doing the testing.

My ''pretty much'' was aimed at the 'one less thing to worry about' part.

My edit was not aimed so much at you as the Vector fan-boy trio.

And before someone slates me for being anti-Vector - I am sure it will, eventually, be a good power meter in it's own right. Right now it's untested by time, expensive in comparison to alternatives and trying to sell on gimmickry.
I am no fan boy of Garmin or the Vectors. I rate a product after a purchase not before, and i do not own Vectors.

I have done a considerable amount of work on pedalling technique and efficiency with Trainer road software (turbo) and on the road. My experience is that the work has improved my ability to last longer at a given power and source power from other muscle groups when near my limit.

My argument has never been about Vectors or Wattbike. I advocate the potential they show in highlighting pedal technique and efficiency.

amaferanga

Veteran
No one is to say and even if they do, do you have to believe them? You makes your own mind up or you experiment yourself and find out with trial and error. I like the latter personally as it doesn't rely on someone else doing the testing.

With n=1 your trial and error won't really allow you to know what it was you did that resulted in an improvement though. You're concentrating on this efficiency thing obviously, so if in a years time you have improved then you'll likely claim it's because you worked on this element of your cycling. You actually need someone to study this in a controlled way - too many variables for you to 'test' yourself!

VamP

Banned

VamP

Banned
chicken-satay-mathew-packer-flickr.jpg

Andrew_P

In between here and there
You lot are putting me off getting a powermeter will I turn in to a bombastic statistic freak?! ^_^

I only really want it for left\right balance reasons as mentioned before and to check HR against watts as my average HR has dropped a fair bit in the last 18 months

Top Bottom