Power Meters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
You can get the G3 wheel (A23 rim build) for that kind of money, and I don't think you need the strap or the Joule. Unless you don't have a head unit already, in which case I think a GPS head unit such as the Edge500 is still more versatile.

Or the P2M.

Or the Quarq.

They will all do the job.

I went with the Powertap because there is no one solution that covers all my diverse interests, and I wanted a simple and reliable training solution first and foremost. Having said that, the A23 is just as competent in road racing as my Ksyrium rear wheel, so I get race data more often than not as well. Obviously MTB and CX races are dataless, but then power data from those is arguably less useful anyway.

Once you have a sufficient database of power files, and learned to recognize how different power zones 'feel' - using the power meter during races becomes less important.

I can't speak for the other methods, but the G3 has been fit and forget (just zero for temperature) and reliable to date.

I agree with others that if you are committed to training and willing to learn the 'power way', it will take you to another level in terms of economy and efficiency of training. Particularly so if you are training time poor.

This was my main reason for the investment!

OP
OP
Zofo

Zofo

Veteran
I agree with others that if you are committed to training and willing to learn the 'power way', it will take you to another level in terms of economy and efficiency of training. Particularly so if you are training time poor.

Sounds like me then, I'm willing to put the effort in but am limited on time. My Current training schedule is typically:-

Saturday 3 hrs at Endurance pace 85-95 rpm
Mon 45 mins Cruise intervals 85-95 rpm
Weds 90 min hills 70-75 rpm
Thurs 45 mins Cruise intervals 85-95 rpm

with this programme my goal is to push up my average pace over sportive distances of 75-100 miles to around 16mph--over a hilly terrain.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Not because I didn't train hard and consistently, but because I clearly didn't train hard enough on hard days and easy enough on easy days. I found it hard to quantify my training load and correlate it to how well I was going etc
This is the best explanation I have seen and has helped me see if there is a benefit.

I had a fairly tough ride on Sunday which made me realise my 80% perception on my commute was wayyyy off. Although I am shifting faster than this time last year I am doing it with less effort. a PM would have told me this much earlier.

Now whether it is worth the investment (for me) is another matter.

Ningishzidda

Don't get me wrong, I do use a power meter in training.

The history of power meters.
Developed for use by professional cycling teams to increase their chance of winning money.
Advertised to amateur cyclists as a way to increase their chances of winning races, and recoup development costs.

What is surprising is,,,
The only member of my club to use a power meter in training is the member who stood up to receive the scratch TT championship trophy last season, and is leading the table this season.

The power meter I use is incorporated into a simple bicycle ergometer sold by an above average department store. Its accuracy is about +/- 2%, so I only assume I am improving until I have a 5% increase compared with past results.
£280.

During a race, I use 'feel'. After all, I've been doing this game for 38 years.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android

both the look power and the garmin vectors and the are certainly interesting. I have seen the Looks freak out on occasion and produce some really inconsistent and wild data.
Issues with the technology caused Garmin to put back the launch of the vectors and we are finally expecting them towards the end of the year (I have been told) however they are starting to look a little like vapor wear.
The look power can only be used with polar devices and IMHO it would have been wise to delay the launch, they are IMHO a little flakey.

DC rainmaker has a good review.
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/07/polar-look-keo-power-systempedal-based.html

OP
OP
Zofo

Zofo

Veteran

thanks for the links H. Seems the pedal system is one for the future but probably way too flakey at the moment? Also the Polar head unit leaves a lot to be desired.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Never buy the 1st gen version of anything, particularly power meters! Garmin already treat paying customers like beta testers, releasing half cocked products, taking peoples money, and delivering sub-par products. I wouldn't trust them with regards a power meter.

Now if money is no object, the new SRM power meters look fantastic! SRM reliability, almost Quarq like convenience (they are rechargeable via a USB port, still would prefer switching a batter tbh though).

Ningishzidda

Never buy the 1st gen version of anything, particularly power meters! Garmin already treat paying customers like beta testers, releasing half cocked products, taking peoples money, and delivering sub-par products. I wouldn't trust them with regards a power meter.

Now if money is no object, the new SRM power meters look fantastic! SRM reliability, almost Quarq like convenience (they are rechargeable via a USB port, still would prefer switching a batter tbh though).
If money was no object, I'd be straight to AVL of Graz, Austria to build me a Bicycle Chassis Dynamometer on a strain table in a climatic wind tunnel.

OP
OP
Zofo

Zofo

Veteran
Thanks for the input chaps, all very useful. I've spent some time now looking at all the options available regarding training-as opposed to racing-with power . And it seems to me that in general the times when power is most useful is when conducting interval or hill training intervals, all of which I'm most likely to be doing inside, on a turbo- as I currently do. Therefore, wouldn't it make more sense to invest in a high spec turbo trainer with power such as the Tacx Bushido ?
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=82998

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Thanks for the input chaps, all very useful. I've spent some time now looking at all the options available regarding training-as opposed to racing-with power . And it seems to me that in general the times when power is most useful is when conducting interval or hill training intervals, all of which I'm most likely to be doing inside, on a turbo- as I currently do. Therefore, wouldn't it make more sense to invest in a high spec turbo trainer with power such as the Tacx Bushido ?
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=82998

That depends on a number of things.

Some of these turbos that provide power measurement (not really measurement, it is inference based on speed) have poor accuracy, so if you need accurate numbers, they are of little to no use. More importantly though, training with power requires repeatability, if the turbo trainer does not have a good, repeatable power curve (spd vs power plot) then the power data is as good as junk, you will also need to be attentive in how you set up each time to ensure repeatability. I would say, based on reading around a bit, in this case you may be better off with a Kurt Kinetic (it has a repeatable power curve and reasonable accuracy according to many comparisons I have seen), with a Garmin and GSC-10 sensor plus an ANT+ usb stick.

TBH, I would either go with power, or not go with power. Not with a power sometimes option. This is not to say you would train to power all the time, you can of course ignore the reading during a ride, but you ought to be collecting data all the time, in order to quantify workload etc IMO.

VamP

Banned
I am not sure that even the more expensive KK trainer's power curve is that well calibrated, but let's say that it's repeatably accurate. Good enough, but you're spending nearly £400 on an option that gives you a fraction of the capability of a power meter.

If you're unconviced, maybe hire a powertap for a month or two, try it out and see how you get on?

As Rob3rt says, it's the collection of all the data that really adds to the value.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
An alternative question/suggestion. Have you thought about hiring a coach? For that money, you should be able to get a pretty comprehensive coaching service for ~1 year.

Top Bottom