Power Meters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amaferanga

Veteran
looks like the Garmin Vector system is the way to go now, especially if you have the 500/510 already:-
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/08/hands-on-garmin-vector.html

I don't understand. Why is it THE way to go and why only if you have an Edge 500 or 510 and not an 800 or 810? Crank-based options from Power2max and Quarq are cheaper and proven, while the SRM is still the gold standard.

Why are the Garmin pro team still using SRM's instead of the Vector?

Andrew_P

In between here and there
One of the reasons I am interested in the Vector is the left right split, I badly fractured my leg when I was sixteen and in plaster for 9 months and lost 10 years of cycling & football muscle from my dominant leg, Zero physio for me back then I then just got myself a driving licence and never really exercised at a level to get my muscle back.

Fast forward 30 odd years and back on the bike in the last 4 years and I reckon my split is 60-70% right leg, only just starting to really notice it now. Now it seems like a really hard habit to break have to really concentrate on keeping the left leg working.as hard.

The price they all seem pretty similar and the side by side testing I have read gives the Vector\Quarq +/- 2%, must admit Garmin treating first adopters as paying beta testers puts me off a bit, plus not really sure if I would benefit from using one, no intention of racing.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I don't understand. Why is it THE way to go and why only if you have an Edge 500 or 510 and not an 800 or 810? Crank-based options from Power2max and Quarq are cheaper and proven, while the SRM is still the gold standard.

Why are the Garmin pro team still using SRM's instead of the Vector?

The Garmin team are using SRM because Garmin have not produced them in sufficient volumes to supply the teams, some of the riders are using next generation development vectors but not all of them.
Going by the same statement you could ask the same question of SRAM red 22 as opqs and other SRAM teams are not using it yet, but we know this not to be the situation, its supply and spares which are the issue.

I have a SRM and Vectors and the vectors excite me a hell of a lot more, they are lighter, easier swap between bikes and more interesting from a technical standpoint.. The data sources these pedals are proving is only the tip of the iceberg. There is so much more to come. Where as the SRM does not have more functionality to come and can not match what is possible with the Vectors

Last edited:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I can probably swap a crank based PM between bikes faster than most can swap the pedals between bikes. It is hardly a selling factor IMO. I did think they might be good for those who ride road and track, but some of the comments from users and reviewers relating to this were not that great.

All the extra features the Vector offers are IMO, fluff on the most part. A power meter needs to be accurate and precise, without being a boat anchor, that's about it. All I want to know is, how hard am I stomping and could I stomp any harder. All this L/R balance stuff etc is pretty much worthless.

Just my opinion of course!

The Garmin team are using SRM because Garmin have not produced them in sufficient volumes to supply the teams, some of the riders are using next generation development vectors but not all of them.
Going by the same statement you could ask the same question of SRAM red 22 as opqs and other SRAM teams are not using it yet, but we know this not to be the situation, its supply and spares which are the issue.

I have a SRM and Vectors and the vectors excite me a hell of a lot more, they are lighter, easier swap between bikes and more interesting from a technical standpoint.. The data sources these pedals are proving is only the tip of the iceberg. There is so much more to come. Where as the SRM does not have more functionality to come and can not match what is possible with the Vectors
We discussed the Vectors a while back if you recall. I think you had tried them before their initial release and they were kind of buggy.

What's your view now? They do seem to review quite well but i can't help thinking Garmin could have taken the market in the palm of their hand had they kept the price lower. As it stands they are not the cheapest option by some distance.

Have you tried, or do you own, Stages crank based PM? Seems not bad for the £££ but obviously rather than having the left and right readings of the Vectors, Stages merely takes on leg and doubles the value. Still, price wise, it is a tempting option.

Looking to introduce power into my life and i have too many bikes to even consider separate units for each. The best solution would be for a interchangeable unit that could be swapped over when needed. The sizeable hitch in there is that between two of my mostly used bikes the drivetrains couldn't be more different. Campag and Shimano, putting the Stages PM into immediate disadvantage.

Appreciate any thoughts.

FWIW i too have been leaning towards the Vectors but wasn't too keen on picking up the first gen units.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
We discussed the Vectors a while back if you recall. I think you had tried them before their initial release and they were kind of buggy.

What's your view now? They do seem to review quite well but i can't help thinking Garmin could have taken the market in the palm of their hand had they kept the price lower. As it stands they are not the cheapest option by some distance.

Have you tried, or do you own, Stages crank based PM? Seems not bad for the £££ but obviously rather than having the left and right readings of the Vectors, Stages merely takes on leg and doubles the value. Still, price wise, it is a tempting option.

Looking to introduce power into my life and i have too many bikes to even consider separate units for each. The best solution would be for a interchangeable unit that could be swapped over when needed. The sizeable hitch in there is that between two of my mostly used bikes the drivetrains couldn't be more different. Campag and Shimano, putting the Stages PM into immediate disadvantage.

Appreciate any thoughts.

FWIW i too have been leaning towards the Vectors but wasn't too keen on picking up the first gen units.

I own a set of production Vectors now and they are very solid bits of kit IMHO.. the data obtained seems to be reliable and consistent from what I am seeing. It was right for Garmin to hold them back until they were ready, you only have to see the look power pedals which were rushed to market to see this .
I have not used stages power meters but I understand that they do not work on Carbon cranks, I think they offer reasonable vfm but have a limited feature set.

VamP

Banned

Appreciate any thoughts.

Both road bikes? Maybe Powertap is a good solution for you. Depends on whether you have race specific wheelsets though. My 10 speed Powertap (Campag cassette) happily rubs along with both Campag and Shimano drivetrains. But if your bottom brackets are both for 24 mm axle, you might get P2M to work with both too.

I don't think Stages is on sale in the UK yet. In any case I'd rather get either P2M or Powertap.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Both road bikes? Maybe Powertap is a good solution for you. Depends on whether you have race specific wheelsets though. My 10 speed Powertap (Campag cassette) happily rubs along with both Campag and Shimano drivetrains. But if your bottom brackets are both for 24 mm axle, you might get P2M to work with both too.

I don't think Stages is on sale in the UK yet. In any case I'd rather get either P2M or Powertap.

Cyclepowermeters have them in hand.

ziggys101

Über Member
Have you tried, or do you own, Stages crank based PM? Seems not bad for the £££ but obviously rather than having the left and right readings of the Vectors, Stages merely takes on leg and doubles the value. Still, price wise, it is a tempting option..

I've had a stages for a couple of months, its my first experience of using power so cant comment on how it compares with other powermeters but its been bomb proof so far I've had absolutely no problems. I bought it directly from the US so cost me £500. With respect to the L/R thing I must be lucky as I recently had a threshold test done on a watt bike when starting with a coach and my split was 50/50 over the entire test. :angel:

I've had a stages for a couple of months, its my first experience of using power so cant comment on how it compares with other powermeters but its been bomb proof so far I've had absolutely no problems. I bought it directly from the US so cost me £500. With respect to the L/R thing I must be lucky as I recently had a threshold test done on a watt bike when starting with a coach and my split was 50/50 over the entire test. :angel:
What crank option did you go for? I do find it odd that the states get the units much cheaper than over here.

For someone looking for simple power, with Ultegra (or similar) on 2 bikes, Stages would be ideal. £600 for one shared unit or £1200 for two bikes kitted out. Cheaper than Vector for 2 Stages units. I have Dura ace, FSA and Campag Chorus carbon so not really an option for me.

Ideally i would have an SRM on every bike and on the new TT bike that should be mine for next season. That would result in some bad credit and divorce so realistically something like vector as one unit for a few choice bikes seems the best way to go.

@VamP - yeh race wheels could have powertap fitted but then i am very keen on power for training too.

Top Bottom