Power meters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Ive been looking at power meters for the last few weeks and i've decided its either P1's or stages .
My understanding of a power meter is that it will give me a figure to work on . As long as that figure is consistent it doesn't really matter what it is . I understand that the P1's are two power meters but do they just give me a more accurate reading of a figure that's consistent or do they give me something else .
What do the P1s give me over the stages ?

Tin Pot

Guru
My research into power meters concluded as you did, they all give a figure that you can use consistently.

None of them are as accurate as we'd like them to be.

The one leg vs two leg seems to me to be marketing value.

The P1s give you versatility, so depending on the kind of rider you are, how many bikes you use, if you use hotel fitness bikes etc.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I have the same cranks and pedals on both road and tt bikes so swapping a crank over would be easy . I intend to only use it on the tt bike though as i train and race on that . The road bike is for club and social rides .
If the only benefit is being able to swap them onto other bikes then i would rather go for the cheaper stages as it has less moving parts so less likely to fatigue over time .

Last edited:

MistaDee

The P1's will provide you with left leg and right power along with total power, cadence. In terms of conectivity they support ANT+ as well as bluetooth smart.There are a number of reports of
issues with play in the spindle however others state this only on earlier models. How your supposed to determine an early model is beyond me.
Although its a pedal based system the P1s do not do the cycling dynamic data that Garmin Vectors do.

I know nothing about the stages other than until recently they could not be fitted to carbon cranks.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
The P1's will provide you with left leg and right power along with total power, cadence. In terms of conectivity they support ANT+ as well as bluetooth smart.There are a number of reports of
issues with play in the spindle however others state this only on earlier models. How your supposed to determine an early model is beyond me.
Although its a pedal based system the P1s do not do the cycling dynamic data that Garmin Vectors do.

I know nothing about the stages other than until recently they could not be fitted to carbon cranks.
Stages also gives you ANT+ and Bluetooth . I've also read the negative comments from owners on all PM's . Problem is , only people with problems mention it . Those without problems dont say anything . Plus people that have spent 1k on something and are having problems dont like to mention it .
With Garmin , what are cycling dynamics ? Do they change the number i am supposed to be after or do they give me something else ? Or do i just get the same number but with more information about how they got that number ?

MistaDee

With Garmin , what are cycling dynamics ?

It's just more data, more information

Cycling Dynamics provide feedback to cyclists on their position and pedal form. Cycling Dynamics’ initial advanced metrics include seated/standing position, Power Phase, and Platform Center Offset for a comprehensive picture of how cyclists ride their bikes. With Cycling Dynamics, cyclists, coaches, bike fitters, physical therapists and more can analyze individual data for precise prescriptive actions.

6a00d83451bb7069e201b7c6d2b60c970b-320wi.jpg

http://garmin.blogs.com/pr/2014/08/...y-cycling-metrics-for-vector-power-meter.html

Top Bottom