Power tools - most useful items?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have a cheap power screwdriver from B&Q - often slipped and caused problems

Then I got a set of decent bit for it and it transformed the thing - I just need to make sure I pick the right bit and it works much better than it did with the old ones

Absolutely agree with this, but sounds like the OP is actually stalling out a lower powered tool rather than suffering with crappy bits.....

Big John

Guru
My favourite, and sadly I don't get much opportunity to use it, is an SDS drill I bought in a sale many years ago from B&Q. It's an absolute beast. It came with a few accessories and you could demolish a house with it! For sticking Rawl plugs in walls it takes seconds to drill a hole. You have to be careful you don't push too hard or it'll go through the wall 😉

winjim

Smash the cistern
My circular saw has just given up the ghost which I'm gutted about as it was a game changer when it came to making decent cuts for framing. Can't afford to replace it, managed ok yesterday using a jigsaw but it's not ideal.

I probably use a ratchet driver as much as I use the cordless. Always use Spax screws, I prefer the torx heads as they don't cam out.

CXRAndy

Guru
DC brushless drills/impact driver

My other favourite tool, for working in dark tight to see areas

1000012445.jpg

Attachments

• 1000012445.jpg
    1000012445.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 0

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
turning the torque setting down on a powered driver will save a lot of slippage in the screw head. I have mine set to the lowest torque setting and increase it one step at a time. It saves a lot of :cursing:.

My router is invaluable, as are my drills, and handsaws, and chisels and plane.

I had a 18v Cordless Mccalister Combi Drill, it was great for most home jobs until I dropped and broke it. I bought a 18v Cordless Titan to replace and it wasn't as good, returned for a refund and I'm now shopping for a new one. I have a little mini electric screwdriver that Lild/Aldi sold me, that's great.

Jameshow

Veteran
I had a 18v Cordless Mccalister Combi Drill, it was great for most home jobs until I dropped and broke it. I bought a 18v Cordless Titan to replace and it wasn't as good, returned for a refund and I'm now shopping for a new one. I have a little mini electric screwdriver that Lild/Aldi sold me, that's great.

Milwaukee are the best I have used, not used the most recent brush less bosch DeWalt Makita though.

https://www.alanwadkinstoolstore.co...rill-impact-driver-2-x-2-0ah-batteries-p61834

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
DeWalt are slowly getting rid of their 18v range and switching to the American 20v. Power tools online or a similar name on eBay often do a bare unit drill/driver for £67. I've had mine for years. I have one 5Ah battery so use that for my circular saw and reciprocating multi tool as well. The combi drill is used weekly, I'd start with that. Other bare units can be bought later as and when. I have a corded sander but a cordless would be much easier. I also have a battery impact wrench but that's used very rarely now that I don't work on motorbikes

Top Bottom