Practicing your descending

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I back off now, I don't bounce as well. Same with off road descents.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Think you can cycle downhill well?

I can cycle downhill well. I'm really good at getting to the bottom of the hill. I can't ever recall failing to reach the bottom.

I can't do it quickly though. ;)

I recall a quote from one ex-pro, I think it was Jens Voigt, who said he knew it was time to retire when he found himself wanting to say "Guys, can't we just take it easy down this hill then carry on racing at the bottom? This is really scary"

That guy's bike handling skills are another level. Did you see the moment he almost high-sided, then he looked back and called "Oil"!

And have you seen this save by him In the Volta ao Algarve TT?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvE47Z0RDSo

Yeah I thought that save was a lot more impressive. Very cool.

Pidders has confirmed that he did several recces on the "Canyon" descent, which makes me feel a lot better!

[I rate myself as above average on a dry road ... but I have my limits. Descending is one of life's great joys, and something you don't need a big god-given engine for :-)

figbat

Slippery scientist
It does help if the road is closed!

I like to descend quickly and have hit ~50mph once or twice. It always occurs to me though that if I was doing the same speed on my motorbike I’d be wrapped in armoured clothing, boots, gloves and a big full face helmet, with enormous disc brakes, big tyres, suspension and latterly ABS. Yet here I am wrapped in little more than a layer of Lycra, some mits, skinny tyres and tiny brake pads.

Top Bottom