Practicing your descending

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Yes, but always aware that the line between descending well and a ride in an ambulance can be excruciatingly thin....

Did this last year while on hols in Southern Italy, riding a borrowed bike down an unknown road....

Screenshot_20230223-225050~2.png

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
My goodness :notworthy:

I've been motorcycling for quite some years (Decades). I have a modern powerful bike, up-to-date sticky rubber - and think i'm an above average rider.

But no way could my brain, body, skill-level, reactions or anything else keep up with those guys. On my motorbike !
I'd be eating their dust for sure. IF i was lucky enough to be that close.......

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If touring then at 20 I'll get my bum off the saddle for bit of respite!!

Couple of years ago I went on tour with a friend who has been a competitive athlete in various sports all of his life. He's a few years older and a great deal fitter than me. His chosen discipline these days is triathlon and the related two-sport disciplines (yeah, and Ironman)

By a combination of me digging deep and - I suspect - him easing off a bit, I managed to keep up ... just about. The thing that would frustrate me was, on cresting a hill I'd congratulate myself on keeping up and look forward to relaxing freewheel on the downhill, having a stretch and a drink, maybe mouthful of cereal bar. But no, he'd be off again. In those circs I just let him go endeavoured to catch him later, which I would do probably at the top of the next hill. Just in time to repeat.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Couple of years ago I went on tour with a friend who has been a competitive athlete in various sports all of his life. He's a few years older and a great deal fitter than me. His chosen discipline these days is triathlon and the related two-sport disciplines (yeah, and Ironman)

By a combination of me digging deep and - I suspect - him easing off a bit, I managed to keep up ... just about. The thing that would frustrate me was, on cresting a hill I'd congratulate myself on keeping up and look forward to relaxing freewheel on the downhill, having a stretch and a drink, maybe mouthful of cereal bar. But no, he'd be off again. In those circs I just let him go endeavoured to catch him later, which I would do probably at the top of the next hill. Just in time to repeat.

You should have popped into first pub you find after hill and wait for him to notice. It’s touring, not competing…

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
He was a toughie !

broke his nose and still managed to win the TDF , won liege bastogne liege by basically outlasting everyone in a snow storm :notworthy:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
In my 'younger days' we used to love chasing big motorbikes down the Cat and Fiddle and Axe Edge into Buxton, especially the Cat, as it's quite twisty. Cars would usually slow us up though !

Unfortunately, the brain takes over now and it's 'you've got to go home later and face the family/you've got work on Monday'. Neither would be happy with me turning up in bits again ! I've been with my current employer 16 years and I'm well known from various accidents. If I'm off sick at any point, or unexpectedly working from home, the first comments are 'he's fell off his bike again'.

Happened last year, I'd slept funny and twisted my knee badly - couldn't walk on it. Worked from home for a few days, told them I'd twisted my knee in my sleep. Someone then 'mentioned' to the whole executive meeting that I wasn't there because I'd fallen off my bike. I wasn't happy I tell ye.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
You should have popped into first pub you find after hill and wait for him to notice. It’s touring, not competing…

He knew the route :smile:

There was no competition. Some people naturally ride quicker than others. It was his LEJOG - he'd planned it all - and I was just tagging along as far as York so it was up to me to keep up.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
In my 'younger days' we used to love chasing big motorbikes down the Cat and Fiddle and Axe Edge into Buxton, especially the Cat, as it's quite twisty. Cars would usually slow us up though !

Unfortunately, the brain takes over now and it's 'you've got to go home later and face the family/you've got work on Monday'. Neither would be happy with me turning up in bits again ! I've been with my current employer 16 years and I'm well known from various accidents. If I'm off sick at any point, or unexpectedly working from home, the first comments are 'he's fell off his bike again'.

Happened last year, I'd slept funny and twisted my knee badly - couldn't walk on it. Worked from home for a few days, told them I'd twisted my knee in my sleep. Someone then 'mentioned' to the whole executive meeting that I wasn't there because I'd fallen off my bike. I wasn't happy I tell ye.

i had the same mate, when i did my back in the other week everyone thought i had totalled the bike again

Top Bottom