Practicing your descending

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I remember Nev Chanin's foghorn voice - Brakes are for emergencies only! - if anyone dared to slow him down on a descent.

There are a few hills round here where I'm comfortable descending at greater speed than feels safe in a car. My claim to fame is overtaking a motorbike going down Porlock Hill (he caught me up in the village, gave me a grin & a thumbs-up).

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)

Been there many a time. The problem always was that his balance bike (in particular) only had a back brake. At that age, brakes are binary, i.e. either on or off. Applying the rear brake involved a rear wheel lock-up and him getting catapulted off the bike as the rear wheel tried to overtake the front. Only a front brake wouldn't have been any better.

So there you are, running (usually) behind a bike going faster and faster downhill, trying very hard not to yell "brake", because you know exactly what will happen when you do.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
In the original video:

(a) it's not really very fast when you look at the speed (the lens on the camera makes it look faster). Not much over 40mph.
(b) unless that's a closed road, he's taking far too much risk by using the full width.

Alex321

Veteran
In the original video:

(a) it's not really very fast when you look at the speed (the lens on the camera makes it look faster). Not much over 40mph.
(b) unless that's a closed road, he's taking far too much risk by using the full width.

While I'm not sure it was closed, the road is one-way (in the direction he was going), so he wasn't going to meet anything coming the other way.

richardfm

Veteran
In the original video:

For me, and I'm sure many others, "not much over 40mph" is "very fast".

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
While I'm not sure it was closed, the road is one-way (in the direction he was going), so he wasn't going to meet anything coming the other way.

He also had a car ahead of him. "It was a one way and there was a car ahead making sure all clear."
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/pidcock-responds-to-safety-concerns-following-viral-descent-video/

Top Bottom