Prague in January

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mad ? Too cold ?

I'm about to press the button on a 4 day city break to Prague in mid January (big birthday), Always fancied going, and found a lovely quirky hotel in the old town, just a stones throw from the astronomical clock.

Anything you'd strongly recommend ? The 'nutcracker' ballet is on (not really my thing but my wife fancies it).

vickster

Legendary Member
Flipping cold

Recommendation, hat, scarf, gloves, woolly boots jacket!

Get a guide book, Lonely Planet pocket Prague a good one, or Dorling Kindersley Eye Witness

If you eat meat, make sure you go get a pork knee here
http://www.restaurace-mlejnice.cz/

The Moravian sparrow is tasty too

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
The clock is a bit of a let down, the city though is brilliant.

It will be cold, very cold.

There are free walking tours - make use of them.

Drink beer :smile:
It is at least now uncovered and refurbed (or was when I was there in June)

The sex machines museum is amusing

The museum of Communism is interesting, the castle and area around worth a look too

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I went at half past November and it was fine. I went in April too.
Find the potato and onion soup served in a loaf of bread :smile:
Pro-seam is Please
Pivo is beer
Cava is coffee
D'jiki is thank you

Not correct spellings but phonetic for ease of pronounciation.

You are not allowed to take dogs or guns in to the post office or most shops :smile: There are signs to this effect, which quietly amused me. Dogs, fine but guns! Who takes guns in to the post office unless you are going to rob it (too many gangster films I think).

The museum where the Wenceslas Helm is, is great and there is a castle museum, over the river at the top of the hill, which is great. All notices in Czech but things are reasonably obvious to what they are. There is also the church, the Cathedral Church of Sts Cyril and Methodius, known informally by locals as the Parachutists Church. Well worth a look and a very important bit of history, right there.

Enjoy. I loved it and would return if I could persuade the chap blokey person. It's expensive though but haggling used to be a thing there, so I guess it still is.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I like meat, but might pass on 'sparrow' and 'pork knee' (I'll have to google what they are).

The hotel has a Deer restaurant attached - quite like venison.

vickster

Legendary Member
I like meat, but might pass on 'sparrow' and 'pork knee' (I'll have to google what they are).

The hotel has a Deer restaurant attached - quite like venison.
It's not actually sparrow (it's a pork dish) and pork knee is basically a pork knuckle (think the piggy version of kleftiko)

Don't forget to see the Jewish quarter, the old graveyard is fascinating

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Also, be careful near windows, Defenestration was "invented there" :smile:

GM

Legendary Member
We went there in March 2001, blooming freezing but still had a great time. As @Cycleops said make use of the opera house, still good value although it only cost us under a tenner and we had our own royal box :smile: ......push the button you'll love it!

Top Bottom