Praxis M30 bottom bracket woes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newts

Veteran
The non drive side bearing has failed on my Roubaix after 1 year/2k miles, Praxis are saying the bearing isn't covered under warranty.
There are also signs of a flat spot on the drive side of the crank.
Am i expecting too much from a bottom bracket?
Hamibini on youtube gives M30/GXP bottom brackets a right bashing & says most are doomed to failure by it's design & common non drive bearing issues.
Is it 'fit for purpose' & should i be looking for the chainset to be also replaced under warranty?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
When was the last time you popped the seals and greased the bearings. You cant get away with this on outboard bearings unless Shimano.. I regreased my SRAM GXP regular, and now the Praxis GXP replacement.

Reactions: gbb
I have noticed some clunking from Praxis M30 BB on my 2019 Diverge, always figured they saved a few $ by not going full Shimano 105. I shall be contacting LBS as bike not yet 12 mths old.

OP
OP
newts

newts

Veteran
When was the last time you popped the seals and greased the bearings. You cant get away with this on outboard bearings unless Shimano.. I regreased my SRAM GXP regular, and now the Praxis GXP replacement.
I've had the chainset off twice over the year & greased the shaft & caps before reassembling.
How can i grease the sealed Bearings, is it easy to remove the blue seals?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes just dig them out carefully and repack with grease. If it helps the seal is backed by a metal washer but has a thin blade edge, that fits in a groove in the outer race. You need something thin but not sharp enough to do damage.

Reactions: gbb
OP
OP
newts

newts

Veteran
Yes just dig them out carefully and repack with grease. If it helps the seal is backed by a metal washer but has a thin blade edge, that fits in a groove in the outer race. You need something thin but not sharp enough to do damage.
I'll give this ago to see if i can keep it going a bit longer, whilst i continue dialogue with the bike supplier.
Long term i'm going to swap out for Ultegra chainset & bottom bracket (always got 1000's of trouble free miles with shimano bb's).

OP
OP
newts

newts

Veteran
I have noticed some clunking from Praxis M30 BB on my 2019 Diverge, always figured they saved a few $ by not going full Shimano 105. I shall be contacting LBS as bike not yet 12 mths old.
Mine started as a very faint intermittent tick that i couldn't pin down. This weekend it became a persistent creak every pedal revolution. With the crank out it shows a little wear on the drive side & the non drive side bearing feels rough (drive side bearing is silky smooth).
Bike has not really seen regular mucky conditions & is kept clean (hand wash, light rinse & cloth dry).

OP
OP
newts

newts

Veteran
A further assertive but polite email to the original bike supplier (internet purchase) has got things moving, despite their initial insistance that the bearing part of the bottom bracket carries no warranty. I was passed onto Specialized UK who have contacted my nearest spesh dealer & arranged for the BB to be replaced FOC. Lbs is very busy & have to wait until 7th July, but very happy that we are moving forwards positively.

Mrop

The non drive side bearing has failed on my Roubaix after 1 year/2k miles, Praxis are saying the bearing isn't covered under warranty.
Hamibini on youtube gives M30/GXP bottom brackets a right bashing & says most are doomed to failure by it's design & common non drive bearing issues.
Is it 'fit for purpose' & should i be looking for the chainset to be also replaced under warranty?
I'm on the third set of bearings on my Zayante. Last ones lasted four months and less than a thousand miles, albeit some of that on winter roads. Not impressed. Water seems to get trapped in the left crank and seeps into the bearings. Seals must be poor.

OP
OP
newts

newts

Veteran
Initially Madison/praxis weren't very helpful. A shifter failure has prevented me riding many miles since the BB was replaced. I've been waiting 12 weeks for a replacement shifter! Frustratingly I was blamed for for the initial failure by power washing the bike, which incidentally I have never done.:cursing:

gbb

Legendary Member
This is what I do, it works very well as a preventative or to quieten down / lengthen the life of bearings that are starting to give up.
I did my ebike BB 8 months ago that had developed a grumble, flip seal out, clean if dirty, pack with grease, press seal back in, reassemble.
Still working fine now. A Stanley blade, a fine screwdriver inserted into the inner part of the seal , just don't damage it too much. (Which inevitably you will a little but that's the price you pay)

Top Bottom