Pre-Packed Fruit & Veg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Oh gawd, that! One wrong move with a sharp bit on the metal baskets and trollies that Sainsbury's still use and it's blood everywhere! Whoever came up with that idea doesn't shop there much.

Sometimes packaging is designed a specific way for a reason. From what I saw, the big complaint was that the meat was just squashed into an unapetising flat splat.

When things get turned on their head, it's usually either a) the bean counters or b) head-in-the-clouds management.

My current gripe with Tesco's packaging are the bottles of cooking oil. They've become so flimsy that you're taking a risk simply picking it up. Also, the flip top, once unsealed, doesn't fit that well. It replaced a much better screw top. Ergo I now decant my oil into an old glass olive oil bottle.

Alex321

Veteran
These have a screw top, but if you try to do it up tight the thread just skips.

Yes, but that is Olive Oil. We use that, but don't think of it as "cooking oil" (more often used as part of a dressing in our house, though we do also use it to baste things like potato wedges, or the kebabs we had tonight).

That is also a rather sturdier bottle than the sunflower oil or generic "vegetable oil"

icowden

Veteran
Oh gawd, that! One wrong move with a sharp bit on the metal baskets and trollies that Sainsbury's still use and it's blood everywhere! Whoever came up with that idea doesn't shop there much.
There is no blood. It's myoglobin a muscle protein which turns red on contact with air.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I am still deeply annoyed; both my local Morrisons and Tescos have now started selling pre-packed ginger for a quid. This is roughly double the price of loose. They still have loose in there sometimes but it's tiny, so very difficult to peel and chop without wasting half of the knobbly bits. They think I'm stupid but I know full well what they're up to; sell the loose C-grade stuff so no-one buys it, and instead opts for 3 large pieces in plastic bags. Then get rid of the loose stuff saying "our customers demand the pre-packed stuff"

OP
OP
presta

presta

Guru
Someone's been looking at recycled plastic used for food wrapping. It seems it contains toxic chemicals from illegal non food-grade waste. There are 400-500 compounds in plastic, the safety of which is mostly unknown, and the number of chemicals increases as the material is recycled.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/may/27/recycled-reused-food-plastic-toxins-study

very difficult to peel and chop without wasting half of the knobbly bits.
I freeze mine just as it comes, then grate off what I need directly from the frozen lump. It grates easier when frozen than it does when fresh.

vickster

Legendary Member
I am still deeply annoyed; both my local Morrisons and Tescos have now started selling pre-packed ginger for a quid. This is roughly double the price of loose. They still have loose in there sometimes but it's tiny, so very difficult to peel and chop without wasting half of the knobbly bits. They think I'm stupid but I know full well what they're up to; sell the loose C-grade stuff so no-one buys it, and instead opts for 3 large pieces in plastic bags. Then get rid of the loose stuff saying "our customers demand the pre-packed stuff"

Don't you have any local greengrocer type shops, lots of Asian supermarkets round here, can buy huge lumps of ginger!

gbb

Legendary Member
Sometimes packaging is designed a specific way for a reason. From what I saw, the big complaint was that the meat was just squashed into an unapetising flat splat.

When things get turned on their head, it's usually either a) the bean counters or b) head-in-the-clouds management.

My current gripe with Tesco's packaging are the bottles of cooking oil. They've become so flimsy that you're taking a risk simply picking it up. Also, the flip top, once unsealed, doesn't fit that well. It replaced a much better screw top. Ergo I now decant my oil into an old glass olive oil bottle.

I've found that with Asda oil too, very frustrating.

Im still of the mind, supermarkets are kings at spin, say the right thing, do the opposite on occasions.
The only driver for them is THEIR cost and how to reduce, balancing with their desire for advertising and the visuals of the pack.
'Pillow' packs for citrus, plastic packaging with a net 'window' are an abomination. Un recyclable, lots of material, high energy required to produce, high energy required to actually form a pack, lots of waste at the packhouse when conducting changeovers, most of the film being trucked across from Spain, most of the supermarkets do them now in a desperate desire to provide something new, or following a trend. Compared to materials used 20 years ago, 'we've' taken 10 steps back...while they still profess how they're doing what they can for the environment
Someone's been looking at recycled plastic used for food wrapping. It seems it contains toxic chemicals from illegal non food-grade waste. There are 400-500 compounds in plastic, the safety of which is mostly unknown, and the number of chemicals increases as the material is recycled.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/may/27/recycled-reused-food-plastic-toxins-study

Interesting. As we switched from PET materials to RPET (Recycled PET) you realise every action has a reaction. As the articles suggests, to recycle PET there are no doubt an extra cocktail of chemicals used to achieve the process of recycling. You'd like to think the developers of that process did their due diligence and assessed the impact of those changes...I dont know if yay or nay but surely some assessment of the impacts must have been done ?
And then you ask yourself, OK, so now there are more noxious agents in the recycled material....but how much more detrimental is it ? 5% more dangerous, 1%, 50 % ? What effect does it have in actuality ? Is it slight, major, somewhere in the middle,would the average human being even be effected in a tangible way ?
What are the alternatives ?
No packaging ? Unlikely considering the publics acceptance of it and the supermarkets love of it (despite their protestations IMHO)
Cardboard ? We've done some experimental work with cardboard punnets. The negatives to this are huge.
Higher transport costs because a card punnet is thicker,so fewer punnets in a case, the cost has to go somewhere.
Higher production costs to seal them, more pressure, longer sealing time, more temperature, special film, lower production speeds. Someone has to bear that cost.
Cardboard is actually harder to recycle than plastic (I was told at the time of those trials, I assume that's true but accept it may not be)
I've seen paper bags tried, I assume because the orders didn't continue it was deemed faIlure sales wise.
Cardboard boxes such as you see clementines sold in at Xmas, they're no doubt environmentally better but require more labour to unpack, form the box, fill and close ...again a cost that has to be borne somewhere.

No easy answers....

I've found that with Asda oil too, very frustrating.

Wouldn't surprise me if the bottles came from the same supplier.

Im still of the mind, supermarkets are kings at spin, say the right thing, do the opposite on occasions.
The only driver for them is THEIR cost and how to reduce, balancing with their desire for advertising and the visuals of the pack.

I guess at the moment, everyone in the entire supply chain is penny-pinching. Especially when you add it to the drive in reducing plastic - and the amount of packaging in general. You end up with a flimsy container that isn't always fit for purpose. My other gripe is the removal of the paper cover on tubs of butter. I see it as being there for hygiene purposes, as you *will* get people who open tubs to poke at the contents. Of course, oily, buttery paper isn't recyclable, but I guess a foil covering (like what I remember back in the 80s) is that much more expensive...

'Pillow' packs for citrus, plastic packaging with a net 'window' are an abomination. Un recyclable, lots of material, high energy required to produce, high energy required to actually form a pack, lots of waste at the packhouse when conducting changeovers, most of the film being trucked across from Spain, most of the supermarkets do them now in a desperate desire to provide something new, or following a trend. Compared to materials used 20 years ago, 'we've' taken 10 steps back...while they still profess how they're doing what they can for the environment

Didn't realise that - you are the expert in these matters, of course. Funny though, they tend to be used at the more expensive end of the range, so I only encounter them when buying on sticker. I shall endeavour to be a bit more careful in future.

Interesting. As we switched from PET materials to RPET (Recycled PET) you realise every action has a reaction. As the articles suggests, to recycle PET there are no doubt an extra cocktail of chemicals used to achieve the process of recycling. You'd like to think the developers of that process did their due diligence and assessed the impact of those changes...I dont know if yay or nay but surely some assessment of the impacts must have been done ?
And then you ask yourself, OK, so now there are more noxious agents in the recycled material....but how much more detrimental is it ? 5% more dangerous, 1%, 50 % ? What effect does it have in actuality ? Is it slight, major, somewhere in the middle,would the average human being even be effected in a tangible way ?
What are the alternatives ?
No packaging ? Unlikely considering the publics acceptance of it and the supermarkets love of it (despite their protestations IMHO)
Cardboard ? We've done some experimental work with cardboard punnets. The negatives to this are huge.
Higher transport costs because a card punnet is thicker,so fewer punnets in a case, the cost has to go somewhere.
Higher production costs to seal them, more pressure, longer sealing time, more temperature, special film, lower production speeds. Someone has to bear that cost.
Cardboard is actually harder to recycle than plastic (I was told at the time of those trials, I assume that's true but accept it may not be)
I've seen paper bags tried, I assume because the orders didn't continue it was deemed faIlure sales wise.
Cardboard boxes such as you see clementines sold in at Xmas, they're no doubt environmentally better but require more labour to unpack, form the box, fill and close ...again a cost that has to be borne somewhere.

No easy answers....

Thanks for the interesting insight @gbb :smile: It's what I love about CycleChat - someone on here will know something about something if you see what I mean.

Tesco did start putting mushrooms and some fruit in cardboard punnets about a year back, but that didn't last very long. They're all back to the standard plastic ones again. I'm quite glad in a weird way, as they're brilliant to put under something you are dismantling e.g. bike / lawnmower parts in order to catch all the bits...

Reactions: gbb
Top Bottom