Pregabalin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Been taking this for about 4 months for nighttime pain and to help sleep, initially prescribed 50mg at night by rheumatologist, GP stepped up to 75mg after a month and rheum up to 100mg about a month ago to see if more effective. I’m sleeping better probably but I can’t seem to remember anything and it’s affecting work as I can’t remember doing things or not doing things!!

GP says a common effect and I’m thinking of stepping back down to 75 as I think it was better with the lower dose, with a view to stopping it after I see the rheum again in December

And no I don’t just think I’m getting old :tongue:

Anyone else experienced the same? I’ve tried amitryptiline and that was worse, one dose and I could barely function the next day. Tried gabapentin too but didn’t make much difference, view is pregabalin is more effective

Drago

Legendary Member
Ami didn't affect me, bit I was only on it a few weeks. It messes up Mrs D bad.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Ami didn't affect me, bit I was only on it a few weeks. It messes up Mrs D bad.
I only took it once, low dose. I couldn’t do anything the next day! I could barely stay awake! Any black market value as I’ve got loads left as a result!!

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I have un-used packs of Amitriptyline, Gabapentin, Nortriptyline Codeine Naproxen - none of them seemed to work and the side effects out weighed any benefit. Plus all the agro stopping them if you are on them any length of time.

One consultant said to expect a 20% improvement in pain, I just couldn't see the point.

Andrew_P

Gabapentin has a good value in the black market apparently, another reason I was put off of it. Plus it seemed everywhere I looked the dose goes up and up and up as it tends to stop working.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Gabapentin has a good value in the black market apparently, another reason I was put off of it. Plus it seemed everywhere I looked the dose goes up and up and up as it tends to stop working.
That’s the same with lots of drugs

I too have Gabapentin and Naproxen having stepped up to Celebrex about 9 months ago. Less gut rotting especially alongside the steroids (I take omeprazole with it)

Did you have memory impairment with pregabalin if you’ve tried it?

Chronic pain sucks. I’m still trying to sort it hence the rheumatologist

I do try to avoid opioids because of the unfriendly effect on motility (especially as I’m taking iron that has a similar effect :ohmy:. )

Black market existence doesn’t bother me if it’s effective!

Last edited:

Andrew_P

Prednisolone helped but not allowed on it for any great length of time plus I couldn't sleep although I enjoyed the euphoric buzz it gave me. I never got up to the prescribed initial dose I think I would have been climbing the walls. Plus was bummer coming off of it even with a taper. I seem to have a very low tolerance for drugs.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Prednisolone helped but not allowed on it for any great length of time plus I couldn't sleep although I enjoyed the euphoric buzz it gave me. I never got up to the prescribed initial dose I think I would have been climbing the walls. Plus was bummer coming off of it even with a taper. I seem to have a very low tolerance for drugs.
Gives me no buzz, I’m knackered (hoping addressing the anaemia and a holiday in warmer sunnier climes will help)! I’m tapering down from 10mg, down to 5 now. Should be on 0 when I next see him.

If pain back, I guess we will need to try the next option which is unappealing (immunosuppressant)

Andrew_P

Gives me no buzz, I’m knackered (hoping addressing the anaemia and a holiday in warmer sunnier climes will help)! I’m tapering down from 10mg, down to 5 now. Should be on 0 when I next see him.

If pain back, I guess we will need to try the next option which is unappealing (immunosuppressant)
I was supposed to be on 60mg on day one, I got up to 35mg. Bloody glad I didn't just do the 60mg on day one.

Hope you are not under St Helier Immunology I thought they were awful having waited 3.5 months for my appointment.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I was supposed to be on 60mg on day one, I got up to 35mg. Bloody glad I didn't just do the 60mg on day one.

Hope you are not under St Helier Immunology I thought they were awful having waited 3.5 months for my appointment.
Blimey! No I’m seeing an ex St Georges prof privately. However if it is what is suspected, I’ll need an NHS referral. I’ll get him to refer if he can or get his recommendation to pass to my very agreeable GP :smile:

@vickster ,I take 400mg gabapentin twice daily and 20mg amitriptyline at night,as well as fentanyl patches ( I really would like to come off the patches ), mrs roadrash says I have the memory of a goldfish, and I must agree with her ,. the first hour or two of each day I feel like I have a foggy brain , if that makes sense.

Andrew_P

@vickster ,I take 400mg gabapentin twice daily and 20mg amitriptyline at night,as well as fentanyl patches ( I really would like to come off the patches ), mrs roadrash says I have the memory of a goldfish, and I must agree with her ,. the first hour or two of each day I feel like I have a foggy brain , if that makes sense.
Do you get full pain relief from that lot?

@Andrew_P ....short answer ....no, but I would hate to be without it, the fentanyl patches are 50 microgrammes an hour and are changed every 72 hours, the highest dose is 100 microgrammes an hour after you reach that dose , there is nothing stronger aavailable, just google fentanyl , its frightening

Top Bottom