Pregabalin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
@Andrew_P ....short answer ....no, but I would hate to be without it, the fentanyl patches are 50 microgrammes an hour and are changed every 72 hours, the highest dose is 100 microgrammes an hour after you reach that dose , there is nothing stronger aavailable, just google fentanyl , its frightening
I know someone I know is on the same regime plus more I think.max dose of Gaba She is elderly her Husband has to sign disclaimers when he picks up the prescriptions and I can never help but wonder that all of her other problems are due to the amount of drugs she is taking and that quality of life would be better with more pain but less side effects. Especially when prompted the person who first wanted me to try Amitriptyline when pressed said 20% expected 25-30% would be clinically significant. I just couldn't see me being anymore comfortable with 20% less pain and with all the side effects.

What she takes and you I would be comatose!! Although I was told that the Amitriptyline after two to three weeks most of the side effects go away.

classic33

Leg End Member
Unfortunately, we are unable to accept patient returned medicines.

http://intercare.org.uk/how-to-help/donate-medicines/

classic33

Leg End Member
That's helpful of you. It must mean from GPs surgeries. I have sent unwanted medication to them at their request - people should get in touch with them and ask.
They'll take medication that's been returned unopened to a chemists. But how do you find out if where you return it are able to pass it on?

classic33

Leg End Member
It does appear the @classic33 is right though.

I find some sort of strange comfort in having some of them around to be honest.
I've been in the posistion of having been given a two month supply of tablets, only to have them stopped later the same week. Too many times over the years. Chemist I used to get them from has since closed, but the owner used to pass all returned medication on for reuse. Sounds something similar to what intercare do.

Don't know where he sent them, and he's gone now. Better that someone else was able to have them, than know they'd been wasted.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
I spoke to them direct, and sent it to them. Do butt out.
As have I, before posting what they quoted what their site says.

Edited to add this
Quick calculation on what one lot I was on.
Cost per tablet: £5
45 day supply: 225 tablets
Cost of medication, no longer required: £1125

Better that some-one elsewhere who can't get that medication, can get it through a scheme that sees less being dumped.

As for an earlier comment, street value, I was told name my price on more than one, having turned down £50 per tablet.

Last edited:
I'm on 900mg daily of pregabalin (in three doses of 300mg) along with 25mg Ami, 3*675mg osteoparacetamol (basically time release paracetamol), 20mg jurnista (time release hydromorphone; this replaced 2*60mg ms contin which is time release morphine) and 3 or 4 top up doses of 10mg liquid morphine daily.

None of that controls the pain completely but I would hate to be without the pregabalin because it's the only thing that stops my right leg from going into spasms. The rest help with the back pain. Thankfully the fractured of T10 in a fall whilst in hospital recently hasn't left me in any more pain. In fact I'm not sure I even notice it except for when it clicks at me!

I've been offered a trial of a spinal simulator called hf10 to help with my chronic pain. It will be interesting to see if it works. One of major side effects of that though would be the severe restrictions relating to MRI scans because of it being a metal implant, however I'm assured that I can still have my pituitary gland scanned as needed every 2 years. But if the next one (next month) comes back during that the adenoma has grown I doubt I would go ahead with the implant at all.

As for side effects. I wouldn't want to be without the pregabalin. I've been on it for nearly 3 years now but I was started on pentagabin by my UK GP however my private back consultant was more than scathing about it saying I would be significantly better off on pregabalin and had only been put on it because it was an old medication that was cheap. Pregabalin made a huge difference though I was very foggy at first (mind you I was bed bound as well so it didn't really matter. My initial dose was 3*200mg daily. Now I don't notice the side effects. But going onto Ami was problematic and I actually take it at bed time so that it knocks me out whilst I'm in bed.

I found codeine worse than morphine when it comes to side effects...

I've been taking pregabalin for 18months, but am now down to only 2x25mg a day, from 2x150mg originally.
However weak nerve spasms have made themselves known again since the last reduction. However, glad I'm not the only one with a crappy memory :smile:

midlife

Guru
If you are looking for help with sleep along with pain modulation then low dose Dosulepin might help?

Buck

Guru
I only took it once, low dose. I couldn’t do anything the next day! I could barely stay awake! Any black market value as I’ve got loads left as a result!!

Around a £1 per pill!

The market for prescription drugs is bigger than class A drugs in many areas!

Last edited by a moderator:

classic33

Leg End Member
yep same as me now , I wonder what the actual max dose in 24 hrs is
The usual dose of gabapentin to:
  • treat epilepsy in adults and older children (aged 12 years and over) is between 900mg and 3,600mg a day split into 3 doses
  • treat nerve pain in adults is between 900mg and 3,600mg a day split into 3 doses
  • prevent migraine in adults varies but can be up to 2,400mg a day split into 3 doses

Top Bottom