Premium bonds v ISA?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
aye i did find that page after asking :smile:

It did raise another question though...

...regarding the value of premium bonds.

If i put £1000 into PBs tomorrow, would that get me one PB worth £1000?

vickster

Legendary Member
aye i did find that page after asking :smile:

It did raise another question though...

View attachment 569083

...the value of premium bonds.

If i put £1000 into PBs tomorrow, would that be one PB worth £1000?
You'll get a block of PBs (I think) which go into the draw...and never lose the amount you paid in...if that's what you mean?

MontyVeda

You'll get a block of PBs (I think) which go into the draw...and never lose the amount you paid in...if that's what you mean?

Each bond is £1, so, if you put £1000 in you get 1000 bonds (ie numbers).
I presumed they were each worth a pound, but the 'bond value' column on the right hand side confused me... what's that?

Last edited:

MontyVeda

The honest answer is, I don’t know... but... I would say it is either, the total holding the person has, or, the value of the tranche bought, within which the winning single bond lies, ie, in your example it would be £1,000.
thank you :smile:

Next naïve question. If I put in £1000 tomorrow, could withdraw half that amount next year?

Edit... yes i could :smile:

How do I cash in my Premium Bonds?
You can cash in all or part of your Bonds at any time.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I bought a block of bonds when I sold my house and have been slowly nibbling away at it to see me through to my state pension.

There is a short delay between cashing them in and the money getting to your bank account. (I got caught out once and had to borrow some money off my sister for a couple of days.) I just checked and if (for example) I tried to cash some in on Sunday, it would be Wednesday before I saw the money.

vickster

Legendary Member
I bought a block of bonds when I sold my house and have been slowly nibbling away at it to see me through to my state pension.

There is a short delay between cashing them in and the money getting to your bank account. (I got caught out once and had to borrow some money off my sister for a couple of days.) I just checked and if (for example) I tried to cash some in on Sunday, it would be Wednesday before I saw the money.
I'd always allow a couple of weeks for any banking transaction if don't have funds to cover a delay (ISA transfers always seem to take an age)

MontyVeda

Yes... that's exactly what i want... easy access to my money but not so easy that i can spend it on a whim.

That to me is more important than my money making me money... it just want it squirrelled away somewhere.

Had an interesting chat with my IFA yesterday. Our managed fund ISA’s continue to look good. And he confirmed that we can access them without penalty at 2-5 days notice. However, he was making the case that because I am no longer earning and my wife also will stop earning in a few months, then we need to be holding more cash. Not because of liquidity, but because if the market were to drop significantly, we would need the cash to tide us over to allow our managed funds to recover before we start dipping into them again.
So I’m now revisiting the options around cash products. I already have an instant access savings account that pays 0.5%, so I could add more to that. I could buy a cash ISA, the interest would be about the same but it would be available to convert to a stocks/shares ISA at a future date. Or I could buy PB’s. I’m tempted to buy PB’s, they sound more fun :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
The nonsense with GameStop reddit group has knocked back my shares Isa, was 10.7% growth last week, now 9.6% and down £500. Hopefully this is just a short term thing.
£75 on the PBs this month...that’ll pay for the boiler service that was done this morning! :biggrin:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Had an interesting chat with my IFA yesterday. Our managed fund ISA’s continue to look good. And he confirmed that we can access them without penalty at 2-5 days notice. However, he was making the case that because I am no longer earning and my wife also will stop earning in a few months, then we need to be holding more cash. Not because of liquidity, but because if the market were to drop significantly, we would need the cash to tide us over to allow our managed funds to recover before we start dipping into them again.
So I’m now revisiting the options around cash products. I already have an instant access savings account that pays 0.5%, so I could add more to that. I could buy a cash ISA, the interest would be about the same but it would be available to convert to a stocks/shares ISA at a future date. Or I could buy PB’s. I’m tempted to buy PB’s, they sound more fun :smile:

Similar here - we do have a few different income streams that are very liquid but we are currently in the process of severing those. Therefore, we too needed some rapid access cash.

We've recently dumped £20k in there so not big beans but it fulfills the brief and as you say it's a bit of fun. :okay:

Our first entry into the electronic whiz-bang thingy is this month so we are hopeful! Someone will now tell us that the draw was yesterday and we have dipped out this time around. :laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
Similar here - we do have a few different income streams that are very liquid but we are currently in the process of severing those. Therefore, we too needed some rapid access cash.

We've recently dumped £20k in there so not big beans but it fulfills the brief and as you say it's a bit of fun. :okay:

Our first entry into the electronic whiz-bang thingy is this month so we are hopeful! Someone will now tell us that the draw was yesterday and we have dipped out this time around. :laugh:
The results are online as of this morning

Top Bottom