Premium bonds - weird coincidence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kynikos

Guru
Location
Elmet
I've held bonds since the mid 1950s and never had a win - until this month. So £100 is on it's way. If I've got half an hour with nothing better to do I may work out the rate of return. Will this open the floodgates in coming months?
 

sungod

Über Member
I've held bonds since the mid 1950s and never had a win - until this month. So £100 is on it's way. If I've got half an hour with nothing better to do I may work out the rate of return. Will this open the floodgates in coming months?

the amount held is rarely mentioned in this thread, but it's obviously key as winning, say, a grand a year on 50k is clearly a poor investment

pb overall returns are poor, especially long term, even if you hold the maximum allowed and made the nominal pb return, all the while inflation is eating away at the value of holding

reality here...

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/premium-bonds/
 

Chislenko

Veteran
the amount held is rarely mentioned in this thread, but it's obviously key as winning, say, a grand a year on 50k is clearly a poor investment

pb overall returns are poor, especially long term, even if you hold the maximum allowed and made the nominal pb return, all the while inflation is eating away at the value of holding

reality here...

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/premium-bonds/

As previously stated Sungod, for some of us it is keeping the money out of reach of the taxman and if I recall correctly at one of the recent budgets tax on savings interest is due to go up from 20 to 22%, or did I dream that?
 

SpokeyDokey

69, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Moderator
the amount held is rarely mentioned in this thread, but it's obviously key as winning, say, a grand a year on 50k is clearly a poor investment

pb overall returns are poor, especially long term, even if you hold the maximum allowed and made the nominal pb return, all the while inflation is eating away at the value of holding

reality here...

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/premium-bonds/

I think PB's are embedded in the national fiscal psyche despite their inherent poor performance vs other investment vehicles.

That link (or similar) has been posted several times in this thread.

No amount of contrary data will sway most PBers.
 
Top Bottom