Premium Bonds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chislenko

Veteran
We received £150 between me and Mrs. C this month.

Not a fortune but more than the interest on our ISA's so won't complain.

user00856

The accepted threshold is that you need about £15,000 worth to be in with a realistic shout of winning on a regular basis. That fits with my experience; nothing until it crept over 15k then regular and more frequent wins as the balance increased. I keep something in the 30's k in PB and am disappointed if there's no win in any given month, usually it's 2, 3, or occasionally 4 x £25 wins. Rough man-maths shows that it's returning about 2%, so not bad compared to a savings account, and there's always the chance - slimmer than slim can be - of a big win with no loss of capital.

Tenkaykev

Guru
The accepted threshold is that you need about £15,000 worth to be in with a realistic shout of winning on a regular basis. That fits with my experience; nothing until it crept over 15k then regular and more frequent wins as the balance increased. I keep something in the 30's k in PB and am disappointed if there's no win in any given month, usually it's 2, 3, or occasionally 4 x £25 wins. Rough man-maths shows that it's returning about 2%, so not bad compared to a savings account, and there's always the chance - slimmer than slim can be - of a big win with no loss of capital.
So that’s where my winning are going ! 😉 The statistical returns should be about 1% since the recent reduction in the prize fund. I too was ahead, but recently have had several months without a prize bringing me back towards the mean.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
12 months since i began stashing my spare cash in PBs and just got my first £25 win... which is equivalent to almost 2% interest :hyper:

Chislenko

Veteran
12 months since i began stashing my spare cash in PBs and just got my first £25 win... which is equivalent to almost 2% interest :hyper:

Hopefully with the interest rate rises they may make the prize pot a bit bigger. I've had a not bad run of late with some £50's and a £75. Like you this month though just £25.

I am surprised they haven't raised the investment limit if you believe all these reports about "lockdown savings" swilling around in people's Bank accounts.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I'd also like to see them drop one of the £1million prizes and have more of the smaller ones instead - something like 2000 extra £50 prizes or 1000 x £100.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'd also like to see them drop one of the £1million prizes and have more of the smaller ones instead - something like 2000 extra £50 prizes or 1000 x £100.
There's well over a hundred billion PBs; three thousand extra prizes would be a mathematical problem way beyond my capabilities, but i reckon the odds of winning would alter by something in the region of zilch :rolleyes:

Top Bottom