preparing bike to go on the car-rack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all, I've persuaded GLW to let me bring the bike when we go to Normandy next month, last time we put the bike on the rack (a saris bones 1) it didn't feel massively secure, or protected.

What do you do to your P&J to keep it safe on the rack? I'm thinking a bit of pipe lagging for the frame, proper covers for chainrings (which scratched the back door of the car a bit before, oops) and maybe taking the front wheel off.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
If you're really worried maybe you could borrow or hire a bike case?

OP
OP
ceepeebee

ceepeebee

Veteran
that's a question of fitting everything in though, definitely no room in the car as we're camping. Part of the worry is from last time we were over there and a twat in a lorry tried to run us off the road just outside Dunkirk ferryport, twanging the kaffenback in the process.

Falwheeler

I used to carry my bike on a rear mounted carrier but never felt entirely happy so this year bought a Thule roof mounted carrier, absolutely made up with it. Bike is rock solid and very secure

OP
OP
ceepeebee

ceepeebee

Veteran
no roof rack for us - GLW is concerned about fuel consumption - and I've always looked at them as a little precarious. Maybe I should have another look at one? Not that it'll be a go-er for this trip, funds preclude.

The Saris is pretty sturdy - the bike just seemed to swing around a bit - skinny steel tubes probably didn't help there - will be taking older alu bike this time.

Top Bottom