Preparing for the commute - What to take?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Right, I have finalised everything that I think I will need for the commute starting on the 17th.

What I am getting:
What I have already got:
  • Bike
  • 2/3 rear lights
  • 1/2 front lights
  • Puncture repair kit
  • Spare tube (with slow puncture)
  • Tools
  • Chain link tool
  • Pump/track pump
  • Bottle cage/bottle holder
  • Waterproof trousers
  • Hi-viz jacket
  • Computer
  • Helmet
What I am thinking of getting but at a later date:
Is this enough or am I missing something?

potsy

Rambler
I'd certainly think about getting more tubes Matthew, that's a long way to go with only a tube that already has a hole as your spare, you really don't want to be patching at the roadside.

Sounds like you've got a lot covered, roll on the 17th :thumbsup:

Lee_M

Guru
not sure how far you are going but that sounds a lot

I take

bike
spare inner tube, multi tool and tyre levers
lights
lock

bag with shirt trousers shoes and laptop

if I get wet I get wet - there's a shower at work and one at home, but may add warmer gear for winter

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
not sure how far you are going but that sounds a lot
I am travelling 16 miles which will be along mainly shared use paths (NCR5) and will have a little but f roads to negotiate at the start and at the end (of one journey).

I am actually going into college on the Tuesday the previous week, but get paid when I first register on my course. So I will have the whole weekend to get used to the weight of the bike (I did the route in 1hr 10mins on the bike with nothing attached). I would like to think that I could get there in about 1hr 30mins max (factoring in the weather and traffic situations).

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I have emailed the college about the facilities there (lockers, bike rack, etc) and am awaiting a reply.

Ideally I would take the panniers off and store them in a locker all day, nd use the detachable bag as my satchel.

Stonepark

Über Member
Possibly too much......and don't forget your water bottle.

Get some good tyres (marathon plus, durano plus etc) and you can minimise repair kit and only need a mini pump, patches, and if this is older tyres/tubes, replace the tubes as well.

Most of your fettling should be done at home so multitool and a tyre lever only, shouldn't need chain tool but if you do change chain for a new one.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Crap, I take a spare inner tube and them plastic things to get the tyre off, no tools, no lights and all that jazz.
Depends on whether or not your commute is at time and palce where you can get to a bike shop or get someone to pick you up if somethign goes pear shaped.
this is what i currently have ..
arm warmers
legwarmers
gilet
sarnies
work clothes
windproof
waterproof leggings
pump
mini tool
chain tool
2 inner tubes
repair kit
tyre levers
cable ties
latex gloves
couple of sarnie bags to keep feet dry if it pours , will change to overshoes when it gets colder
reflective arm bands
helmet
glasses
gloves, full finger this week as its cool at 5 am.
buff
lights front = 2x cree torches atm , will replace 1 with a p7 magicshine when it gets darker
lights rear= 1x smart r2 , 1x smart standard flasher on each pannier
Mudgaurds , you know they make sense.
Locks, left at work on a specific bike lock hook .
keys, phone , etc .

Probably forgot something thats buried in the pannier :0

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I don't know why anyone says its too much. On a normal ride I carry, 2x inner tubes, 1 repair kit (incase of a bad bad day), set of 3 tyre levers, multi-tool, couple of cable ties, spare batteries for lights, drink, hand pump. food, all of which fits easily in a combination of a small saddle bag and the pockets on the back of my jersey. Matthew here is going to use panniers, wise choice, so there is very little need to go super minimal.

Herr-B

I'd forget about the waterproofs, you'd get all sweaty wet rather than rain wet. If you could leave a change of clothes there that's all the better. I'd rather cycle in shorts than anything else soaking water up.

I drive in once a week with a load of shirts, trousers, shoes and a towel, then for my commute I just take lights, bag (with lunch!), repair kit (although no pump on bike! Yet), keys and phone, water bottle, and depending on weather and route - a viz vest.

I hope you get your locker, it'd seem daft to not let you have one.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I have a new Vittoria Tire on the rear with a new continental innertube (LBS said it was £8 but cut it down to £6.50 for me).
I still have a Conti CityRide on the front which has a bit of life left in it, and a tube which has been on for about a month or two (had no issues with it).

For the tires (when the front one is replaced) I will get a set of these (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24611) or I might just play it safe with something that I know and get a new set of Conti CityRides.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I hope you get your locker, it'd seem daft to not let you have one.
We have a Sports centre at the college but I dont know if the lockers would be in a corridor (as I would like) or if you actually have to go into the changing rooms (its only for my panniers).
I also dont know if they are the type of lockers you have to pay to use.

Top Bottom