Preparing for the commute - What to take?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lee_M

Guru
Just packed my bag for tomorrow:

Laptop
Shirt, trousers, shoes
Multi tool
Spare inner tube
Pump

Cheshire Celt

Legend
^^^^^^^^^^ Pmsl was thinking this too

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Wrap your electronics/stuff you want to keep dry in plastic bags (without holes in). Cheap and easy. Okay, will do.

Ditch the waterproof trousers and see if your college gym (assuming it has one) will allow you to use the changing rooms to dry off/grab a quick shower. If not, a disabled toilet and towel are your friend to dry off. There is a disabled toilet in my building so I will probably use that.

Repair or bin your punctured tube. Less than f*ck all use as you'll have to stop to re-inflate or risk damaging your wheel when it inevitably goes flat. I have ordered two tubes from Tesco which I will pick up on Firday.

And from an aesthetic perspective, match your tyres. Unless you plan on chucking in a CX race on the way home, then you're cool. I will do when the time for me to change them comes (front one will need changing soon).

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I think you should get better panniers, and probably a better pannier rack. I spent £120 on my combo and would say it just about gives the desired performance, i.e sits securely on rack and is totally waterproof, and quite large.

I did get an M-Wave product, threw it away within 3 days
I just dont have the funds to spend a massive amount of stuff. Thats why I have opted for the M-wave, it seems large and for a good pice. The reviews are mixed but it comes out average in most cases.

What do you mean get a better rack? It is just made out of metal and I have checked that it fits on my bike. It has the relevant places for me to attach the pannier.

boydj

Legendary Member
Overshoes are a must for winter commuting - as are mudguards, good quality gloves and a skull cap. Protect your extremities from the worst of the weather and you should be fine.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Overshoes are a must for winter commuting - as are mudguards, good quality gloves and a skull cap. Protect your extremities from the worst of the weather and you should be fine.
Got the cap, gloves (nice thick winter ones), I dont have mudguards but I would be cleaning the bike regularly, and I will be using normal trainers (changing my pedals back to toe straps) so I wont be using overshoes.

Actually, if I am able to use a locker, I might store some trainers in there meaning that I can use my SPD's.

Hawk

Veteran
I just dont have the funds to spend a massive amount of stuff. Thats why I have opted for the M-wave, it seems large and for a good pice. The reviews are mixed but it comes out average in most cases.

What do you mean get a better rack? It is just made out of metal and I have checked that it fits on my bike. It has the relevant places for me to attach the pannier.

I thought the same. You'll end up spending more because you'll quickly realise you need a better one. It will not last any serious commuting I think.

Cheap pannier/rack combos tended to result in my bags on the ground behind me

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I thought the same. You'll end up spending more because you'll quickly realise you need a better one. It will not last any serious commuting I think.

Cheap pannier/rack combos tended to result in my bags on the ground behind me
I will have a look around but if I cannot find anything suitable, then I will just have to manage with these.

endoman

+1 on the mudguards, mine will go on when the clocks change, until they change back. I'm also hoping for some winter goretex boot things as overshoes have still left me with damp feet, although not too bad after only an hour of a commute.

boydj

Legendary Member
Got the cap, gloves (nice thick winter ones), I dont have mudguards but I would be cleaning the bike regularly, and I will be using normal trainers (changing my pedals back to toe straps) so I wont be using overshoes.

Actually, if I am able to use a locker, I might store some trainers in there meaning that I can use my SPD's.
Matthew, I've commuted through the last 6 winters. When it's wet, the water coming off your front wheel is like a (very) cold tap constantly dribbling onto your feet - it's very debilitating. I'd carry trainers in the pannier if there's nowhere to leave them at uni and go for the spd's and overshoes. The overshoes keep your feet that bit warmer too, when it's cold. I rarely go out without overshoes between September and April, since my mtb shoes are well ventilated.

In my wedge bag I put my keys and I also carry a D'lock other than that I travel as light as possible, the bike weighs enough alone but my commute is only 1.75-2 miles each-way. When I've done longer commutes in the past at the minimum, I've also had tyre levers, a spare tube, a pump and multi tool (with chain tool), carried a silver d'lock and left a gold one at my destination. On even longer commutes I've also took water and quick links. Occasionally I've also took latex gloves and another tube. I also like to carry a small fordable bag for those times when my panniers can't cope (unexpected loads).

Hawk

Veteran
I will have a look around but if I cannot find anything suitable, then I will just have to manage with these.

Good panniers will last decades, apparently.

I know the feeling though, always difficult to convince yourself spending 90% of the money you have just now is a good idea for future

Hawk

Veteran
Normal trainers aren't TOO bad for winter. Double pair of thick socks might be worth a shot. Mudguards, almost definitely.

http://www.ewetsuits.com/cgi-bin/sh000088.pl?REFPAGE=http://www.ewetsuits.com/&WD=sock&PN=neoprene-wetsuit-shoes-boots.html#a42#a42 I use for sailing (feet constantly wet). Basically a wetsuit sock, feet get wet but stay warm. Reckon they'd be OK for cycling.

What are you commuting on, how much space between your wheels and frame? I've got some SKS P50 mudguards which are for wider hybrid/touring tires but nonetheless would work if you can fit them on (you probably could). I'd be up for lending you them til Spring/summer-ish?

Cheers

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
What are you commuting on, how much space between your wheels and frame? I've got some SKS P50 mudguards which are for wider hybrid/touring tires but nonetheless would work if you can fit them on (you probably could). I'd be up for lending you them til Spring/summer-ish?
I will be using this:
100_0781.jpg

The manufacturer details say that it has facilities for mudguards and a rack and I would probably be using these (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blister-Hybrid-Mudguards-Black-£25-19/dp/B004QCI9GU/ref=sr_1_184?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1346276144&sr=1-184 ).

I dont want to take anything off anyone as I probably wouldnt be able to get around sending it back (I have never like sending anything in the post). I would also need the mudguards for the next 2 years.

EDIT: The picture is not accurate. I now have a new rear wheel, rear tire, chain, cassette, seat, bar tape, and a bottle holder.

Top Bottom