Preparing for the commute - What to take?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
I just dont have the funds to spend a massive amount of stuff. Thats why I have opted for the M-wave, it seems large and for a good pice. The reviews are mixed but it comes out average in most cases.

What do you mean get a better rack? It is just made out of metal and I have checked that it fits on my bike. It has the relevant places for me to attach the pannier.

You have a Micro Wave as well?:wacko:

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
OTH My cheapo panniers are doing great after 4 years. I tend only to use the offside one. As a precaution I placcy bag everything, but not needed to. The racks been on and off about 3-4 times, still holding up well. Well enough for me to get another for our lass and her trips to the allotment - she gets the nearside one.
I always carry a powerlink, minimal weight for a quick chain fix.

tadpole

[QUOTE 2011845, member: 1314"]tadpole - what you mean by spare valves?[/quote]
The inner bit that screws into the tube. I've had two fail (slow leak) on me in the past two years, so keep spares
Schrader_valve_opening_and_closing_on_a_tire.gif

stongle

Are you expecting the apocalypse en-route to work?; you're certainly prepared for it...

Have a proper think about this. Is there anywhere you can store clothes and related stuff at your work / college place? Once a week go by car / bus offload required kit and then cycle without the extraneous sh*te. It'll soon get wearing lugging around all that crap on a long commute ride and you'll give up after a short while. Think what's important to you on the commute and your motivation. If it's just saving money and to meander to work, then everything inc the kitchen sink is probably fine and you can rationalise that. If you're also adding a time constraint, your heading for epic fail.

I have a 15 (with climbs)-18 (flat-ish) mile commute each way, I do 3-4 times a week. The days I don't cycle, shirts, trolleys etc get left in workplace or drycleaners and shower at work. I carry nothing else (sometimes / rarely a super lite rucksack for my laptop). The only thing you really need on a commute, is keys, a mobile and enough cash for a cab to complete your journey. The mobiles to call the wife* for the "team support" car (bring replacement wheels for punctures), the cash for a cab (bike in boot) if she's out. OK, the basis for my commute is to be there in under 50mins (so quicker and cheaper-ish than train otherwise why bother); and stress free (so no faffing with punctures). Cereal bar and water before the off, coffee and OJ at work (why add another kilo of water / food for a short ride?).

Also consider your budget, you adding a lot of stuff you don't need but in reality there's no substitute for good / working kit (so loose the punctured tube). Buy cheap, buy twice. Good quality waterproof overshoes for winter are a must, as is some form of waterproof jkt (good luck on this item).

*if your funds don't extend to wife / girlfriend then consider the gatorskins and tubes + Co2.

For a run of 15 miles each way, stay light. Mine was 21 miles each way.

1. Maybe go once a week by bus to take in clothes, footwear, towel etc. for shower and change. You will need a locker at college and will need to bring in lots of clothes, towels and so on - and take the dirty ones home. Clothing is heavy. Clothing for a week is very heavy.
2. For 15 miles, you might want a couple of fig rolls or similar to boost you if you push hard.
3. I never took a rain cape. I seemed to sweat more inside one than was helpful. However, once it was coldish, i used bib tights and lined, long-sleeved tops.
4. A headband thingy, wooly hat and 'casquette'. If you use a helmet, you may want something warm to cover your ears. If not, the wooly hat when it gets cold and the casquette when warm, clear and sunny.
5. 2 bottle cages: One for water, the other for an old bidon with a 'door' cut into it. In the door put a couple of Allen Keys, levers, a tube or two. Minipump in clip or back pocket.
6. Organise your books and folders. Carry nothing you don't need. You will get good at this very quickly.
7. Mobile 'phone.
8. change for an emergency Mars Bar when you bottom out. It will happen.

That's all I used and it did me very well. Good luck and have fun!

AndyRM

XOXO
Not sure if it's been mentioned about mudguards, but if it gets snowy/icy and they start gritting the roads, be sure to stick a pair on, and make sure they fit well.

If not for your protection, then for the bike - salt will eat it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I will probably get mudguards when my route starts getting dodgey (mucky and gritty) which will probably be about the November time.

I'd fit them now - nothing worse than getting a wet backside on the commute. Also protects the panniers as well.

Top Bottom