Preparing to ride again after a few years off - tips on a workout plan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simplekatt

Hi guys,

I'm preparing to begin riding again and have ordered myself an indoor trainer. I'm looking to build myself up again before taking on the open roads. As well as the trainer, I've ordered myself a speed/cadence sensor.

I haven't cycled now for a good 5-6 years. I was really enjoying it and I saw improvements pretty quickly (more miles, timing improved) but due to personal issues my riding became less frequent and eventually came to a complete halt. When I was riding before, I was starting to complete 100 mile rides.. During this break I began smoking as well as drinking more frequently. I haven't quit smoking yet as I haven't felt ready (probably also because I haven't felt a reason to). I'm confident that picking this hobby back up will give me the reason to stop.

I am wondering if anyone can give me advice on how to begin to build my fitness back up? I've seen a few videos about training plans but given my fitness level I aren't entirely sure on an entry level plan to follow. My ultimate goal is focused more on the miles and completing a century again rather than racing. If anyone has any information or guides, or if you've been in this situation yourself it would be great to hear from you. Any help is appreciated.

Hope you're all keeping safe during the lockdown!

Thank you. :smile:

OP
OP
S

Simplekatt

I'm also wondering about when the best time to take an FTP would be? Is it best to take it immediately or after a week or so of warming back up to the bike?

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
On my retirement in 2010 I returned to cycling after an absence of about 40 years. For what its worth, my advice is the same as as ianrauk & PaulSB above. In my case I bought a cheap bike and started riding and well remember my first outing. I was overweight, unfit and unprepared when I took to the road for the first time, choosing a level route of 7 or 8 miles. I had only gone about 1/4 mile when my legs were burning and I began to wonder if it was such a good idea, however I persevered and although I have not reached the magical 100 miles target you mention I can usually complete 60 or 70 without too much pain and in fact, , last year my friend and I completed a fully loaded LEJOG. I did not have a training program as such, I simply rode my bike.

Last edited:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
For me there was a 20 year gap. During that time i piled on the pounds as well. You almost certainly haven't forgotten how to ride as i jumped on and was fine. The only thing was low speed turning took a little bit of time getting used to again but didn't take long to gain my full confidence. You have to just get on it...

Clouded Leopard

Regular
Went for my first ride yesterday. Last time on a cycle was some 30 years ago. The route was mainly level but with two very gentle inclines And a distance of some 5 miles. Nearly killed me. But I completed the route which I consider an achievement. The canals around Burnley, Todmorden etc beckon for me next trip tomorrow. 🦦🦥

Following the views of everyone else, get out and enjoy the sun and do not get too hung up about performance at this stage

As @taximan and @HMS_Dave have said you may want to manage your expectations a bit. I had not ridden for a decade put on 15-20 kg and then thought I could ride as before, hit the first big hill at speed and well....xx(

Once I realised that it would take a bit of time and remembered that riding is meant to be about the enjoyment it all fell into place.

Good luck, enjoy it and you will soon be heading out for longer and longer rides:okay:

screenman

Legendary Member
I had a break after years of racing off for a couple of years maybe when I got back on I used the Mathetone method and it worked very well for me. I do know this method may not sort those who just enjoy riding and do not want the faff of other bits, we are all different. There is plenty about the mathetone method on google, take your pick.

Just going out and riding your bike is a valid way to improve fitness but I feel that improving fitness for some people needs to be measurable. ( like going on a diet you at least need scales to make sure the diet is working looking in a mirror every week would be a bit hit and miss ) You mentioned a FTP test so does your trainer have a real power meter or virtual way of measuring power?. Also I know from my own and others experience having a plan to work to is easier than dreaming up a ride yourself.
My girlfriend who has never been a serious cyclist or ridden a bike in the last year decided she wanted to join me in CX racing in the winter ( if its still on)
for the first 2 weeks we just went for rides to get her used to being back on a bike. Then she took a FTP test and we started a Sufferfest training plan nearly entirely on a turbo trainer with just one ride ( off road) durring the week and includes core body strength training. It costs around 14 quid a month but its a plan she tries to stick to with me doing it as well ( I just multiply her power figures by the approriate amount for me) .
Mentally she finds this easier to deal with, "here is a plan stick to it" and does not have to worry about putting all the kit on, traffic , finding a route and because she is in full time work can be done in the evening or early morning etc. It is a plan/method that may not appeal to a lot of people but its saves thinking for yourself and gains are measureable. Looking at Power/cadence/heart rate targets may bore some people to death but both of us are quite happy to have these to work to as long as a appropriate sound track is playing in the background.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Depends what floats your boat.

Just getting out and riding, not to the point of exhaustion, and building up gradually outside - without resort to the trainer is probably the easiest way and the way most people would go, especially at the moment while the weather is nice. Essentially going for a ride becomes something to do just for its own sake, exploring your local area, finding interesting places and nice places to ride, and there is no "training". In no time at all you can say to yourself "I just rode X miles. And it was a piece of cake"

But setting targets on a trainer, and measuring your FTP to track your progress and calibrate how hard your workouts are is good if you enjoy that sort of thing, which many people do.

There's really no right way. Just find the path of maximum fun and satisfaction.

Last edited:

ShaneWBA

I’ve started biking in the last month having not been on a bike in 10 years probably a bit more

Best advice is just get out there, I find canals brilliant to ride along, but you just need to get out and do it

Self motivation is a big thing too, don’t come up with excuses not to, there is rarely an excuse not to get out and exercise. A few times last week I thought I can’t be bothered, but that’s not a good excuse or reason not to. Likewise I’ve felt tired, again not an excuse or good reason not to, it’s just me being lazy, so I just have a sleep before I go or go out tired and wake up once out

But honestly just get out, do it and importantly enjoy it like I’m starting to and then you’ll find the days you don’t go out, you actually miss it

Wookee

Kind of coming back to regular cycling after 8 years and having put on 20lbs I use my exercise bike for fitness and just ride my road bike for enjoyment. Strava is quite a useful booster and I compare my previous rides if looking for improvements. Most of the time I'm just riding for enjoyment though.

Top Bottom