Prepping chain before waxing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wyre forest blues

Über Member
I have decided to move to waxing my chains. I have purchased a new chain but the factory oil needs to be removed before I wax it. I have read of liquids to use, methylated spirits and turps with final clean to remove the meths or turps with acetone. Just wondering if anyone has experience of using gunk to do the job instead of meths or turps as it is a de-greaser. I already have 5 litres of gunk.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Recommend a read of this excellent article (Josh of Silca) who gives you the principles and practicalities:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/Wrenchwork/Dan_Josh_A_Lubrication_Discussion_8731.html
The key consideration (for cleaning a chain before waxing) is what residue is left my the liquid used. No idea if Gunk is good or bad, or in between.
"soak a chain for ~3 hours in mineral spirits, paint thinner, toluene, gasoline, kerosene or similar agitating it frequently, and then shift that chain to a second more polar and water miscible solvent like acetone or denatured alcohol for 10-20 minutes of agitation before allowing the chain to hang to dry. Maybe takes a day in total, but you are actually hands on for less than 20 minutes total . . . "
1702905084390.png

Bristolian

The presenters on GCN Tech wax lyrical (pun intended) about the process of waxing chains :smile:

They use Josh from Silca as an expert, but then GCN is partly sponsored by Silca so his, and their, comments may be a little biased.

I have decided to move to waxing my chains. I have purchased a new chain but the factory oil needs to be removed before I wax it. I have read of liquids to use, methylated spirits and turps with final clean to remove the meths or turps with acetone. Just wondering if anyone has experience of using gunk to do the job instead of meths or turps as it is a de-greaser. I already have 5 litres of gunk.

You are overthinking this. Just ride with the factory grease until it is depleted and then oil. If you really want to de-grease your chain, use any solvent you can find in your shed, followed by a clean with soapy water. Chain waxing is all myth and lore re-hashed from days gone by when they didn't know any better.

Top Bottom