Prescription glasses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domus

Guru
I wear glasses for distance and have some prescription Ray Bans but when on my bike I could not focus on my head unit so I tried cycling with just ordinary sunglasses and found that at the speed I cycle I don't need to see THAT far in front. I admit the stunning views are not THAT stunning but it works for me.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Depending on how strong your prescription is, you may be fine without glasses. When you're on a bike and the "picture" is constantly moving, it can look just as sharp as it does with glasses. What you perceive as sharp vision is mostly interpreted blur anyway, except for the central bit that falls on the macula.

OP
OP
Goldy

Goldy

Well the modifying of an old pair of glasses as inserts was a disaster but I have found an online reglazing company so I'm sending the insert to them and then I should be up and running for less than £50.

Johnno260

Veteran
How long have you been using them Johnno260? Some of the reviews suggest that the RX insert is not very durable, but I wonder how much wear and tear they can get once glazed and fitted?

Sorry for raising an old thread.

I purchased these on 24/10/17 and had the inserts glazed soon after, the insert failed this morning 23/03/20.

Kryton521

Über Member
I use RX inserts in Adidas frames. Have done for several years and never had a problem.

Note. Rain can and does cause issues with steaming up when stopped for lights etc. Once moving by tilting your head it clears again quickly enough, and using spray designed for swimming goggles can also reduce the issue

Johnno260

Veteran
Gorilla glue ftw!

Attachments

• 1A6468D0-403F-4E13-9AF9-0115F863E955.jpeg
    1A6468D0-403F-4E13-9AF9-0115F863E955.jpeg
    50.8 KB · Views: 3

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
You said the magic word "Cheaper".

I went down that route for years before getting a pair of Rudy, photochromatic, prescription glasses. I wish I had got them right at the start.

vickster

Legendary Member
Gorilla glue ftw!
swimming goggles?

Johnno260

Veteran
For sure, but I do like the option to be able to change the lens depending on the conditions, I tried transitions a while back and really hated them.

Top Bottom