Press fit BB tool recommendation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rliu

Veteran
Hi all, seen a lot of options on ebay/amazon etc. of BB installation and removal tools that significantly undercut the pricing of the established brands like Park Tools or their cheaper competitors Ice Toolz or X-Tools, just wondered if anyone has bought any of these before and if anyone had any recommendations?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I made my own, some threaded bar, a few washers and a couple of nuts. Has worked fine on all sorts of installations.

Reactions: C R

C R

Guru
I made my own, some threaded bar, a few washers and a couple of nuts. Has worked fine on all sorts of installations.
Same here, threaded bar, oversize washers covered in self adhesive felt to protect the contact surfaces and nuts. Plenty good for home use, about 8 pounds in all.

IBarrett

Über Member
I bought the BB tool from Burton Bikes on ebay.
It is really just a glorified version of those home made ones already mentioned in this thread. But for the sake of about £12 and with mega quick delivery it wasn't worth the hassle of making my own.

Jody

Stubborn git
I lucked out in the scrap bin at work and found a 10" bolt and washers big enough to cover either headset or bottom brackets. Cost of £0

robgul

Legendary Member
The upside of the specific tools as against a bit of threaded rod/studding is that the thread on the tool is usually coarser thus requiring less winding of nuts against the big washers.

I have a Wheels Manufacturing press with a pair of "stepped" inserts that cover almost any size bearing (and if the headtube isn't too long, headset bearings too (if they are pressed in)

Rob

Top Bottom