Press-Fit BB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimbut

Like to do as much of my own servicing as possible. Have a Scott carbon bike with a Dura-Ace SM9141 press-fit bottom bracket. Is there a tool specific to this for removing and re-installing / replacing BB ?? Can`t help always feeling I`m gonna take better care of my bike than some stranger would. Don`t really care if I`m paranoid or not. Stop picking on me will ya ?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
There must be - here's the vid.

Not a job for the fainthearted!

Mike_P

Guru
Old thread I know - need to fit a press fit bottom bracket to a bike where the bb threads have been damaged. Any recommendations?
Edit - bought a thread less BB.

Last edited:
A press fit BB won't work in a threaded shell, because only the friction between the BB cup and shell holds the surfaces together. Even if a commercially available adapter were available it would likely rely on the threads to be held in place. It may be possible to repair the threads with a tapping tool. Call around a few different shops to see if any have tapping tool you require. This isn't the kind of tool many DIYers will own.
https://www.parktool.com/product/bottom-bracket-tapping-facing-set-bts-1

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Old thread I know - need to fit a press fit bottom bracket to a bike where the bb threads have been damaged. Any recommendations?
You have a few options - trying to retap the threads, helicoil inserts or a threadless bottom bracket. If it is a cheap throw away bike, you can also just bodge the hell out of it with loctite.

Thanks for clarifying, I hadn't come across threadless type before, in my mind threadless was just another term for press fit type.

Mike_P

Guru
To confirm yes I got a YST threadless - £16 from Spa Cycles plus a further £8 subsequent for a second bottom bracket tool with built in handle to hold the other side to that which is being tightened.

Top Bottom