Pressing question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
SamNichols said:
As for the second point, no idea. I still don't understand why we have the k and the c, when they're the same pretty much all the time.

SamNikhols doesn't look quite right in the English language.;)

SamNichols

Knackers is a silent K anyway, the rest can be replaced with C in my opinion, but then I am no lexicographer.

No Sam Nikhols doesn't look great, but then I am trying to get rid of the K not the C.

yenrod

I use the phonetic alphabet in work (on the blower) and for some reason I always think of wanky for 'W'...

;)

God knows why...

SamNichols

yenrod said:
I use the phonetic alphabet in work (on the blower) and for some reason I always think of wanky for 'W'...

;)

God knows why...

One of the original versions of the phonetic alphabet (not the international version) had Willy for W.

Saddle bum

Über Member
The "P" is silent as in "Bath".

Anyway, this whole thread reminds me of the story I heard about the England rugby team practising their throw - ins. They had the idea that if the thrower shouted a word beginning with "P" the ball would go left, and a word beginning with "S" meant that the ball would go right. Come the first practice session, the guy throwing the ball shouted "Psychology!".;)

Jaded

SamNichols said:
One of the original versions of the phonetic alphabet (not the international version) had Willy for W.

I guess that about 10% of the time, W. was fairly happy?

simonali

Guru
Hover Fly said:
In fact when I need to say "W" I'm going to use the word "whiskey", it's one syllable shorter.

One syllable shorter than what? Surely you mean whisk?

And while we're on the subject of redundant letters, why does wisky have an h in it?

purpleR

Guru
I remember one former colleaugue who had her own rhyming alphabet, she would yell down the phone: F for Fat C for Cat B for Bat S for Sat!

An interesting woman in many ways, but Oh My LORD she was nuts.

Top Bottom