Pressure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jedi Jim

A very good evening all, I can imagine this has been asked a million times, but I am trying to get familiar with my bike, I’ve a couple questions, main one after replacing tyres and tubes is, what pressure is a sensible one to run on 700x 25 tyres, I’m about 13 stone, I ride mainly back roads at the moment, I’ve pumped the new ones up to what they said on the tyre which is 120psi, it’s way to hard In my humble opinion, but if I go to low I’m worried the tyre may have to much movement and start coming off if that makes sense, also, wet or dry chain lube, I got a pot of dry and used it once, it seems to be really sticky, oh and also I’ve just learnt we can use a co2 bottle to re inflate should we get punctures, are there any dos and donts, and are there good adaptors and bad, sorry my first thread is so long, but I look forward to having a yap with your good selves

si_c

Guru
120psi is far far too high for a 25c tyre, for someone your weight I would reckon 95psi is a much better figure - you don't need more than that at all.

You can use a CO2 bottle to inflate - I do so - it's really easy to do, you need a CO2 inflator and some cannisters. The inflator will thread onto the valve stem and you can then quickly inflate the tyre. Each inflator will have a slightly different way of operating, so you would need to try it a before relying on it. A pump is the best way to be certain of inflating your tyre, CO2 is merely a convenience.

Lastly I use dry lube through summer and early autumn, once it starts to rain frequently and the roads remain damp I move over to a wet lube as it sticks to the chain better. You don't need a lot of either on the chain, a small drop on each link is sufficient. Once you've applied it run the chain around a few times and then thoroughly wipe the outside with a rag or cloth, this clears off most of the sticky residue and helps keep your chain running for longer.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Also ride 25's.
12 and half stone. 100psi is my max.

The tyres usually say a min and max psi. So somewhere in between that feels comfortable for you.

Wet lube all year round. You don't need a lot, a dab on each link will do ya followed by wiping off the access.

In regards to CO2. I only usually use it in an emergency, Late at night, wet weather. I always carry a normal pump too and usually use that first.

froze

Über Member
first of if you weigh 182 pounds you also have to add in the weight of the bike so I added 20 pounds putting you at 202 pounds; at that weight they claim you should be running 102 psi in the rear and 70 in the front, unless you have more of an race position riding style then you should be running 98 rear and 80 front, according to this: http://www.dorkypantsr.us/bike-tire-pressure-calculator.html This calculator follows the same algorithims as Vittoria tire package chart shows and other tire manufacture charts, so I think it's darn close to being right. Now of course you can change that to suit your personal taste, but the idea with the calculator is to maximize your tire life and traction, so I wouldn't vary it by more than 5 psi one way or the other. Of course this calculator is for tube tires not tubeless, and regular rims not the wide rims.

Unless you're racing I see no need for CO2! Sure CO2 is fast but you to know that CO2 will dissipate out of the tire at about 50% in 24 hours, this means when you get home you have to fully deflate the tire to get all the co2 out then refill with regular air, to me that's just working 2 times for something that you could have done once and been done with it. Also I don't like the idea of paying for air when a simple pump and get the air for free. currently the best mini pump is the Lezyne Road Drive large, they come in 3 sizes, the smaller ones will require more work and I doubt the smallest one could get to 100 or so psi. Most mini's promise they can get to 160 psi but good luck getting to 75 psi! The other issue with CO2 is you have to discard them, most yahoos that use CO2 just throw the empty carts, on the side of the road, I see them all the time littering the side of the roads. Then of course after you use a cart you have to remember to replace it. And the last issue with CO2 is that you have a limited supply of air. If you are dead set on using CO2 then at least get a hybrid pump, these pump regular air and O2 like the Lezyne Pressure Drive CFH, then you won't be left stranded without air.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I had a little trouble once with C02. Gave up in the end and decided to have a poop instead.

1598523336968.png

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I’ve pumped the new ones up to what they said on the tyre which is 120psi

I suspect that may be the maximum rated pressure for the tyre.

As you and others have said it is much harder than you need for general road use.

I like a bit more in the back than the front so would try something like 90/80psi.

cambsno

Unless you're racing I see no need for CO2! Sure CO2 is fast but you to know that CO2 will dissipate out of the tire at about 50% in 24 hours, this means when you get home you have to fully deflate the tire to get all the co2 out then refill with regular air, to me that's just working 2 times for something that you could have done once and been done with it.

Disagree - just ordered some co2 for the fact that it should take a minute or less to inflate rather than 200 pumps of a mini pump which may not get up to psi anyway. Then I get home (maybe out of the wind/rain/dark) and in the comfort of my garage, deflate the tyre (or let nature take its course over a couple of days and spend a few mins with a track pump.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I have no experience of racing at all but I would say that that one very good use of CO2 is group rides. When one person punctures you want to get everyone back on the road asap. It saves lots of other people standing around. I've seen the Fridays' Tail End Charlies make incredibly fast work of a puncture, finished off with a blast of CO2.

Other than that I tend to agree with your other points about CO2. I don't use it myself - but then I don't get many punctures.
Standing around twiddling your thumbs while someone tries to do CPR on a fresh tube is not happening if I'm on the ride, no time for a dose of tennis elbow with a tiny pump..

Fix it, co2 it and GTF back on the bike.

si_c

Guru
CO2 is also very useful if you're commuting, it's not like you tend to have a lot of time to get back on the road if you are on the way in in the morning.

Cannisters cost about 50p and can be recycled so there's no waste if you are responsible.

tdcadillac

I have new bike (same 700/25) and the pressure on the tire read 110-125
I put it 110 and it feel very hard on the road. I weigh 187 pounds. Do I have to stick with 110 or is it ok to reduce it even it says between 110-125?
Thanks all,

vickster

Legendary Member
I have new bike (same 700/25) and the pressure on the tire read 110-125
I put it 110 and it feel very hard on the road. I weigh 187 pounds. Do I have to stick with 110 or is it ok to reduce it even it says between 110-125?
Thanks all,
Try 90 front, 100 on back. The only risk is a pinch puncture.
Skinny tyres will feel hard on the road especially if you’re used to fatter

Top Bottom