Pressure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

Jedi Jim

first of if you weigh 182 pounds you also have to add in the weight of the bike so I added 20 pounds putting you at 202 pounds; at that weight they claim you should be running 102 psi in the rear and 70 in the front, unless you have more of an race position riding style then you should be running 98 rear and 80 front, according to this: http://www.dorkypantsr.us/bike-tire-pressure-calculator.html This calculator follows the same algorithims as Vittoria tire package chart shows and other tire manufacture charts, so I think it's darn close to being right. Now of course you can change that to suit your personal taste, but the idea with the calculator is to maximize your tire life and traction, so I wouldn't vary it by more than 5 psi one way or the other. Of course this calculator is for tube tires not tubeless, and regular rims not the wide rims.

Unless you're racing I see no need for CO2! Sure CO2 is fast but you to know that CO2 will dissipate out of the tire at about 50% in 24 hours, this means when you get home you have to fully deflate the tire to get all the co2 out then refill with regular air, to me that's just working 2 times for something that you could have done once and been done with it. Also I don't like the idea of paying for air when a simple pump and get the air for free. currently the best mini pump is the Lezyne Road Drive large, they come in 3 sizes, the smaller ones will require more work and I doubt the smallest one could get to 100 or so psi. Most mini's promise they can get to 160 psi but good luck getting to 75 psi! The other issue with CO2 is you have to discard them, most yahoos that use CO2 just throw the empty carts, on the side of the road, I see them all the time littering the side of the roads. Then of course after you use a cart you have to remember to replace it. And the last issue with CO2 is that you have a limited supply of air. If you are dead set on using CO2 then at least get a hybrid pump, these pump regular air and O2 like the Lezyne Pressure Drive CFH, then you won't be left stranded without air.
Thank you for the reply, really helpful, I shall have a look at the pressures and have a tinker over a couple of rides

OP
OP
J

Jedi Jim

Try this link. It will give pressure, front and back, depending on your weight and the wheel and tyre size. If it' not spot on, it gives a place to start from depending on your riding style.

Tyre pressure calculator
Excellent, thank you

OP
OP
J

Jedi Jim

I have new bike (same 700/25) and the pressure on the tire read 110-125
I put it 110 and it feel very hard on the road. I weigh 187 pounds. Do I have to stick with 110 or is it ok to reduce it even it says between 110-125?
Thanks all,
I have put mine down to 95 and went out on Sunday, felt a lot better, the ride before was horrendously hard especially with such bad roads, but dropping down made a huge difference and hasn’t effected grip etc, I was worried about getting like a roll sensation if I went to low, but seems fine at 95

tdcadillac

I have put mine down to 95 and went out on Sunday, felt a lot better, the ride before was horrendously hard especially with such bad roads, but dropping down made a huge difference and hasn’t effected grip etc, I was worried about getting like a roll sensation if I went to low, but seems fine at 95
thank you for sharing and for posting this question it did help me as well cheers

Top Bottom