Presta to Schrader valve hole conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks everyone for the responses so far, it's been illuminating :biggrin:

I guess at the heart of things, as 2Loose said, it's a Marmite thing. I already have a decent track pump that will inflate quickly to the recommended PSI, a stack of Continental inner tubes with Schrader valves that would otherwise be made useless, plus my early bad experiences with Prestas.

As for the wheels, I do want these as I like the design and colour, things have to look good as well as perform in my book - and I have seen some hideous wheels for far more money than I can spend! As there's no option to buy with Schrader holes, I'll just have to use the tips offered here and get my drill out :thumbsup:

One last thing - and I suppose I'm going to hate asking - the wheels claim to be 'center lock', what does this mean?

It means they accept take Shimano centre lock disks, rather than the more conventional 6 bolt fittings.
S'Ok if you have Shimano centrelocks, or are buying new disks anyway.

02GF74

Über Member
there are least 2 type of disc brake rotor fittings.

a) 6 bolt (Shimano, Mavic and other makes)
OBE-BR118.gif

b) centre lock - these have an alloy spider with splines that slip over the hub and a lock ring, in principle same fitting as a cassette fitting. Shimano, Mavic and DT Swiss and other makes.
!B4ODE2!Bmk~$(KGrHqEOKicEyU-fzOozBMpB70m16g~~0_35.JPG

They are not interchangeable but I am pretty sure I have seen an adpater that fits to splined hub that uses 6 bolt rotor. It wouldnlt be possible the other way round as the alloy spider is wider than a 6 bolt rotor.

I don't think there is much in it which sytem you choose (I prefver the centrelock type )

Top Bottom