Presta Valves - What am I doing wrong?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Never had any problems whatsoever with prestas, in fact i prefer over shraeder valves. I use a track pump at home, and have a cheap topeak mini pump with smarthead fitting, which does a great job.

02GF74

Über Member
never had a problem either.

you sure your pump is for presta? the shraeder (car valve) had a different adpater plus a plunger bit that holds the valve open - this plunger bit woud interfere with the presta valve thing.

cold be the pump is faulty - I doubt a cheap tyre wold be any more suscpetible to broken valve than an exprensive one. could be your technique - hard to say without being there.

a track pump not foot pump is what you need.

Crankarm

Guru
Kaipaith said:
Bought myself a track pump yesterday - haven't tried it yet. The old tube seems to be holding its pressure well, so as long as it lasts until the weekend, I'll switch the tubes then... fingers crossed.

So what track pump did you get and is your problaimo solved?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Hi K,

You won't regret the track pump - IMHO they should be supplied with the bike.

I've only ever managed 'get you home' pressure with hand pumps when I've p*******ed on the road, despite pumping away like horny teenager.

As I'm popular with gravity and usually carrying 10kg+ of crap in my panniers, I have to get my rear tyre close to its limit to minimise the chance of pinch flats and stop the rear end feeling all squirrelly. Because of this, I've found the CO2 inflators useful, especially in the p1ssing rain when you just want to get home quick. The disadvantages are that they're single use only and the CO2 seems to leak out over a period of days, so you have to remember to re-inflate with air properly once you get home.

Manonabike

Über Member
Kaipaith said:
OK, so I got my new bike last week. I love it - but the tubes are Presta valves, and I've never used them before. I figured I should acquaint myself with them... and I seem to be incurring problems.

First off, I'm using a hand pump. I know I should get a foot pump with a gauge, but after the expense of the new bike I simply couldn't afford it. However... Every tube I've tried, I could pump it up to a certain pressure, but no more. Not as firm as the other tire, but firm enough. Fine - I remove the pump only to find the screw and nut on the end of the core is missing - sheared off. I'm fairly confident I wasn't wiggling the pump around THAT much.

This has happened on three tubes, I've just used my last one. I'm kicking myself, I really am. I now can't tighten the nut to restrict airflow. I would suspect that the airpressure would hold the valve shut, but even if so, I wouldn't want to commute on it too far, and I would want to know what I'm doing wrong anyway!

Take a look at this video

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I bought "el-cheapo" track pump from Argos, Muddyfox, £14. OK, I'm a loser. There were no instructions, so I probably knackered the valve connector due to ignorance, but I want a reliable Presta/ Schrader connector from somewhere. The OD of the air hose is 9mm, and the ID is 4mm. It simple fits with a barbed hose connector, and a back up nut that has no olive (what is that for???).Aethetics probably.

I would be really grateful for any suggestions, and thank-you...

garrilla

Kaipaith said:
The valve is straight, but the but the end of it with the pin which allows airflow, and the nut which holds it in place, has been sheared off.

I'm currently riding on rear wheel with a tube that has had the end of the presta screw/lock nut sheered off. (son's mini-morph)

As long as it is inflated it will be OK. I can still add air to mine to keep it at 110psi which i do with a track stand. You should be the same.

The problem will come when it defaltes, there will be nothing to stop the inner valve falling into the the innertube. This is unlikely to happen while riding although its a small possibility and will be like getting a puncture.

Don't count on it. I had one shear off one Monday morning when I was about to pump up to pressure. Experience has told me that it if you pump it up the valve goes into the tube and you get an instant deflation so I left it with the plan to swap tubes that night and rode to work. Didn't get round to replacing for one reason or another and halfway to work on the Wednesday it went flat.

You may be OK for a while, but be prepared to change it.

Top Bottom