Presta Valves!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

weareHKR

For the first time ever I have the misfortune of using Presta Valves, what a pain in the ass getting air in them.
Job for this coming week will be opening up the valve holes to take Schrader Valve!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Really it’s a two second job to undo the knurled nut and then do it up after pumping. It’s not like you need to pump every 30 mins or every day either.

Sharky

Guru
A Google search came up with this comment

Presta valves are easier to pump than Schrader, because they have no valve spring to overcome. ... In narrow rims, clincher tires also leave insufficient space between tire beads for larger Schrader valves. In contrast Schrader valves are more robust, universally used, and have an easily removable core.

So your plan to switch to schrader valves may be thwarted if you rims are not wide enough.

Please report back with any success you have with switching.

Ajax Bay

Guru
is that a good idea ? wouldn't it compromise rim integrity
So your plan to switch to schrader valves may be thwarted if you rims are not wide enough.
As can be seen in his subscription, the OP only has mountain bikes so all their rims will be well wide enough to drill out - only one mm more in diameter. On another thread I recall he reckoned 42mm tyres were 'skinny'.
Careless to buy (a) wheel(s) with Presta valve hole drilling. But it takes little time at all to remedy, with a drill bit for metal, a file and some emery paper.

Gunk

Guru
To me Schraders are usually associated with cheaper budget bikes, the only bike I have with Schrader valves is my Brompton.

After unscrewing the knurled nut, I always find it useful to push it down and release a small bit of air in order to break the seal.

This is exactly what I do, Presta are no more difficult to use, it's just understanding how they work.

After unscrewing the knurled nut, I always find it useful to push it down and release a small bit of air in order to break the seal.
Yes, absolutely, every time.

OP
OP
weareHKR

weareHKR

I hasten to add, I did use a brand new JoeBlow track pump, perhaps the valve adaptor was tight with it been new?
I pumped up the tyres on the wifes wheels with Schrader Valves within minutes, mine took about 15 minutes.
I'll have another look during the week & try again, I was rushing a bit tbh.
I wont jump in with both feet before investigating why I had such problems, after all it's not rocket science pumping a tire up... is it!

OP
OP
weareHKR

weareHKR

As people above have said... just loosening the knurled nut isn't enough - the valve often gets stuck and needs pushing in to break the seal. Once you have done that, it is easy to get the air in with a track pump.
Yeah I figured that out early doors, I'll have another go tomorrow when I have more time to weigh them up properly.

vickster

Legendary Member
Not a Joe Blow Max pump perchance?
Those are designed for lower schrader pressures. I could never get 100psi through a presta valve with mine and gave it away in the end. I’m a bit feeble but the replacement bought in my LBS sample sale for £20 is an absolute PoP to get up to 100 in no more than a minute even from flat and has been faultless now for many years.

Top Bottom