Presta Valves!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
weareHKR

weareHKR

You can replace core on presta if it bends.
Yes I've seen some replacement cores on Amazon, I'm not familiar with this valve. Are the cores that come with the tubes of a decent quality or is there a better quality available?
I fitted new Continentals.

I use both types on various bikes On my 26" commuter bike I reamed out the valve hole using a hand drill and cleaned up the sharp burrs with emery cloth. It OK if your rims are wide enough.

Willd

Veteran
I really struggled with them until I got a different track pump, the difference was night and day, so it may not be the valve to blame, rather a badly designed useless pump :okay:

The original one had a locking collar to seal onto the valve, the new one has a lever.

OP
OP
weareHKR

weareHKR

Ok guys, thanks for taking the time to write your experiences with the Presta Valve. As someone quite rightly pointed out I've only ever had Schrader type valve system as used on all my mountain bikes.
It became obvious reading the comments on the issues I had yesterday it's clearly not the fault of the valve, rather down to my unfamiliarity with the Presta.
So... this morning I put the bike up on the stand & deflated the front tire, fitted the pump head & low & behold it inflated to my chosen pressure (3.5bar - or in old money around 50psi) without a problem!.... :becool:
Cheers, all... :okay:

jay clock

Massive member
Not a Joe Blow Max pump perchance?
Those are designed for lower schrader pressures. I could never get 100psi through a presta valve with mine and gave it away in the end. I’m a bit feeble but the replacement bought in my LBS sample sale for £20 is an absolute PoP to get up to 100 in no more than a minute even from flat and has been faultless now for many years.
I also had problems with Joe blow. I now have a specialized Air Tool which is fantastic and has a single head for either valve type

OP
OP
weareHKR

weareHKR

Mine is the Topeak Joe Blow Max 11 Version
Seems ok now I know how to get the best out of a Presta Valve.
The head does seem a tad flimsy, or at least the lever does, possible a head change might improve it! :okay:

keithmac

Guru
My lad's new bike has Presta valves, are the screw on Schrader adapters any good?.

Interesting the Presta doesn't have a seating/ return spring, seems I couldn't just leave the adapters fitted and the lock nut loose.

Might end up drilling the rims.

Ajax Bay

Guru
My lad's new bike has Presta valves, are the screw on Schrader adapters any good?.
Interesting the Presta doesn't have a seating/ return spring, seems I couldn't just leave the adapters fitted and the lock nut loose.
Is he going to carry a pump with only a Schrader orifice? If so carry one adaptor, or get a new pocket pump (with Presta orifice). But I echo Ming.

keithmac

Guru
We've got 6 bikes all on Schrader but I'll see if we can get along with the Presta.

I'll have to show him how to inflate them and he'll have to carry an adaptor when he goes out.

Top Bottom