Presta Valves!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My lad's new bike has Presta valves, are the screw on Schrader adapters any good?.

Interesting the Presta doesn't have a seating/ return spring, seems I couldn't just leave the adapters fitted and the lock nut loose.

Might end up drilling the rims.

You should be able to keep the adaptors on: the presta valve doesn’t need to be done up to keep the air in, as the air pressure keeps it closed (or something). At least this is how presta valve extenders work and I can’t see the adaptors being any different.

Chislenko

Veteran
Admission time:

When I first got back into cycling about ten years ago my bike came with Presta which I had never used before.

Spent hours trying to blow them up before finding out you had to undo the valve!!!

As others have said I always push the valve down and release a bit of air before inflating.

Happy pumping😊

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Push-on Presta pump-heads are a PITA, I've replaced my original Joe Blow one with a Topeak Brass Chuck, which is better and has a much harder wearing washer*, but still gets stuck on some threaded valve stems. For that reason I much prefer inner tubes with smooth stems. After all the thread is only there to accommodate the superfluous threaded washer, which I never fit anyway.
* I got tired of paying extortionate amounts for a head replacement kit just for the washer - I know they are (theoretically) available separately but no bike shop ever had them in stock.

donnasdr

Hello cyclists! I m not a cyclist myself but my bff is and well I wanted to get him a portable pump for his upcoming race and wasnt sure what his tyre valve was. Can someone help me please? Thanks!!

DDEFAA61-6500-4F17-9944-03E4B3714F27.jpeg

Top Bottom