Prestatyn to Llandudno along the coast questions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I am told that it is possible to ride from Prestatyn to Llandudno along the coast and that it is good enough surface for a road bike.
Can anyone tell me if that is accurate?
What is the approximate distance ?
Does the road/path extend beyond either Prestatyn or Llandudno ?
I have been on Google Earth but cant get a good enough view or distance measure.
(I want to take the bike on the car so as to start/finish, say, Prestatyn but want to be sure its a decent length ride)

David_widnes

Veteran
Hello - There is a very good coastal cycle path that connects from Presatyn golf club through to Llandudno seafront ,not sure of the national cycle way number but I have ridden it a few times and it is excellent and completely off road passing through Rhyl , Pensarn ,Colwyn Bay and Rhos on Sea
The path is suitable for a road bike and it Carrys on past Llandudno
Hope this helps

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Hello - There is a very good coastal cycle path that connects from Presatyn golf club through to Llandudno seafront ,not sure of the national cycle way number but I have ridden it a few times and it is excellent and completely off road passing through Rhyl , Pensarn ,Colwyn Bay and Rhos on Sea
The path is suitable for a road bike and it Carrys on past Llandudno
Hope this helps

Many thanks............any idea of the distance ??

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
About 23 miles each way. All good for a top notch road bike apart from a short stretch where the path is swamped by sand (we're talking a couple of 100 yards at most) where you might want to pick up your bike and carry it to stop the sand getting onto the drivetrain.

Great surface and interesting too, can be busy, so not for Stravanauts, it's not all bike path a tiny bit is on the coast road, but nothing nasty. Route must be about 20miles each way. Nasty short, but very steep hill just after Rhyl, you'll want to be in low gear from the bottom, you'll probably wonder what people (occasionally) say as you approach. This little hill can be carnage as 60% of riders struggle in the wrong gear as they wobble across the whole path - a danger with the people hooning back down the other way! Nice little route route you'll love it!

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Great surface and interesting too, can be busy, so not for Stravanauts, it's not all bike path a tiny bit is on the coast road, but nothing nasty. Route must be about 20miles each way. Nasty short, but very steep hill just after Rhyl, you'll want to be in low gear from the bottom, you'll probably wonder what people (occasionally) say as you approach. This little hill can be carnage as 60% of riders struggle in the wrong gear as they wobble across the whole path - a danger with the people hooning back down the other way! Nice little route route you'll love it!

Much appreciated. I am semi** "clipless" on this bike and often wondered/worried what would happen if you got it wrong.
** I have gone for those (are they called) double sided pedals so if I'm not sure then I can unclip at the bottom and use the other side.

Ron-da-Valli

It's a bleedin' miracle!
The path goes all the way to Bangor. You will need to use stretches of road for parts of it. You can turn inland at Rhos On Sea golf club to follow NCN5. It follows a country lane through Glanwydden village and joins the main road at Llandudno Junction. Cross into Conwy ( if you don't want to use the main road over the river then turn left at the roundabout by Asda and go under the flyover to join the path on the other side of the road) and pick up the path at the harbour. It then wens it's way down to Bangor. I regularly use it.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
The path goes all the way to Bangor. You will need to use stretches of road for parts of it. You can turn inland at Rhos On Sea golf club to follow NCN5. It follows a country lane through Glanwydden village and joins the main road at Llandudno Junction. Cross into Conwy ( if you don't want to use the main road over the river then turn left at the roundabout by Asda and go under the flyover to join the path on the other side of the road) and pick up the path at the harbour. It then wens it's way down to Bangor. I regularly use it.

Is it clear/obvious.........at the ASDA/flyover/harbour..........part. I wouldn't like to end up in Porthmadog by error ^_^

Ron-da-Valli

It's a bleedin' miracle!
Is it clear/obvious.........at the ASDA/flyover/harbour..........part. I wouldn't like to end up in Porthmadog by error ^_^
I haven't actually used that route, I use the main road. When you go through Llandudno Junction you will see the railway station on the left just before the mini roundabout. Just ahead is Asda. Take the first exit by Asda and go under the flyover. You can see the flyover from the roundabout. Go under that and under the 2nd. You will see the NCN5 sign on the right. You go up the ramp and join the pavement.

Just stay on the Llandudno path to Llandudno from Rhos (sea on right, you can't go wrong :okay:) route dips inland around Little Ormea then no need to worry about bridges, roundabouts and scariest of all an ASDA in wales - I used to shop at the one at bottom of Aston Hill and boy is that scarey!!

G3CWI

Veteran
Did it twice last year. Good fun - but not one for great speeds due to random pedestrians. Beware of the sand drifts. On my first run I hit one at 20mph thinking I would easily get through it - nearly a bad mistake. On the second trip I got off and walked across any significant sand. Road bike both times BTW.

Ron-da-Valli

It's a bleedin' miracle!
Just stay on the Llandudno path to Llandudno from Rhos (sea on right, you can't go wrong :okay:) route dips inland around Little Ormea then no need to worry about bridges, roundabouts and scariest of all an ASDA in wales - I used to shop at the one at bottom of Aston Hill and boy is that scarey!!
You haven't been into the one at Kinmel Bay (Rhyl) full of skanks from the caravan parks:eek:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
The path goes as far as Talacre after Prestatyn. The last bit it through Haven Caravan Park (it's huge).
we have walked this bit a couple of times and its fine never gone the other way ......yet

oh word of warning if Naughty Ned is about keep riding through the Haven Site

Top Bottom