Presumably pinched nerve?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
In December I did a ride in very windy conditions and as such I was more hunched over the bars than probably normal for quite a period. The next day I noticed what I thought was a muscle strain in my shoulder.

A day or so later I noticed some slight numbness in my left index finger.

Being a typical bloke I decided to just see if it went away. It hasn't. If anything it's got a bit worse. The numbness and tingling has now moved to my left thumb as well. I get some pain in the lower neck and general shoulder discomfort in certain positions.

Having hope it would go away and it hasn't I'm going to my GP next week (I'm out of the country right now). I was wondering whether others had experienced this and what the outcome was? It's only at the "nuisance" stage now but I wouldn't want it to get much worse

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I had a similar problem with my index finger and I saw my sister (an osteopath) who tried two different things including something to do with my shoulder, which did sort it out. She tried two things at the same time as I wasn't going to see her again for another month, but it meant we didn't know which one caused the problem.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have a very similar problem that I got when mtb'ing in the Pennines. I have let it fester hoping it would sort itself and it hasn't. A physio friend has told me it is a trapped nerve which tallied with my Internet based self diagnosis, and that it can be released by putting pressure on the area where the nerve is trapped to free it. So I went to the docs before Christmas and have been referred to the Physio down the road. First appointment tomorrow at 8:50am. Fingers crossed it is resolvable.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Carpal tunnel another possibility :smile:

Please elaborate?

I had some mild carpal tunnel syndrome in my right wrist following breaking it when a teenager. It feels very different indeed. Encouraged to hear it may be a matter of manipulating the nerve free. TBH, getting slightly random pins and needles in my fingers is a bit disconcerting

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
A few stretches will probably sort that out - best done under the guidance of a physio though

I'm encouraged that the CC medical team don't feel that my arm is about to drop off. I'll pop to the GP and @Hacienda71 can compare notes on improvement. I've been very healthy all my life so I don't like it when I start to malfunction. Could be a sign of wear and tear catching up with me I guess

vickster

Legendary Member
Please elaborate?

I had some mild carpal tunnel syndrome in my right wrist following breaking it when a teenager. It feels very different indeed. Encouraged to hear it may be a matter of manipulating the nerve free. TBH, getting slightly random pins and needles in my fingers is a bit disconcerting
Can cause finger numbness. Tennis elbow can be another culprit. Or nerves in neck. See a Physio

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No it won't drop off.

I had it in my left arm after my off in December 2008. Still had tingling after the decompression operation but eventually traced to a badly swollen trapezium which was fixed with injections. It improved after that.

midlife

Guru
I'd personally see the doc. The nerves to your fingers go through a lot of structures (neck, shoulder, armpit, elbow, wrist etc) all of which can give numbness if there is concomitant injury, compression, inflammation.

Shaun

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
First physio appointment done. Lots of checking of range of movement, manipulation of vertebrae and spine. Apparently my posture is not good as I am tall at 6'3 so tend to look down too much. Given exercises to do at home to improve posture. The aim seems to be to free the nerve but also reduce the risk of it happening again as bad posture will increase the chances of nerves being trapped as the body adapts to incorrect postures narrowing the areas nerves travel through. Asked about general health and was interested to hear I rode a lot and had raced my bike as one of their receptionists is an aspiring young pro on Sarah Storey's development programme . Next appointment booked in a week. Quite a lot to get my head around and a little bit sobering that I am not a spring chicken in my 20's any more.

Stephenite

Membå
Last week I was suffering from pins and needles/numbness in the fingers on my left hand, and pain in the shoulder (difficult to locate exactly). And now it's fallen off! - just kidding.

I think I slept on it awkwardly. Anyway, I just ignored it and it's gone away. The shoulder is still a bit painful but i've been stretching, and it isn't affecting my swimming. If you're worried about it a physio will be able to sort it out fairly quickly.

Top Bottom