Preventing close passes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
[QUOTE 4581466, member: 9609"]My tactic and it works well on quiet roads where you are only getting one car or wagon at a time, I take a particularity wide primary position, then move to the left just before the car starts to pass, so even if they were just going to give you a couple of foot, you now have four of five.[/QUOTE]
My tactic is similar but not! If my Spidey senses start tingling that somebody is about to make a stupid close pass on a narrow section of road or against oncoming traffic then I subtlety move slightly further out. This is a great tactic because without fail they will jam on the brakes and perform an emergency stop rather than risk damaging their beloved car against a cyclist or approaching car. Because I don't perceivably move they also question their judgement, because they could have sworn there was just enough room to squeeze through, but perhaps they are not such an ace driver after all?
It's all about psychology, but you do have to have balls of steel to do it!

I do the same when approaching oncoming cars in residential streets which are often tempted to take my side of the road because of parked cars. Works well.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Must admit that as a rider in London my main problem with close passes is from a certain breed of ****ish cyclist. Have maybe had the odd car incident but far far less.
I suspect that's confusing "main" with "most frequent". The bikes aren't likely to hurt as much as the nobbers in large vehicles who pull up alongside on one's right at junctions.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I did a shortish jourrney through E17 a few months ago with a garden strimmer slung across my back. Didn't get any of the usual tailgating, revving, attempted close passes that I'd usually expect, but if I was going to do that regularly I'd probably invest in a padded shoulder strap
In a similar vein, I recall a chap cycling through Manchester with a replica Sten gun across his back. Bet he didn't get any close passes (apart from the armed response vehicle natch).

I suspect that's confusing "main" with "most frequent". The bikes aren't likely to hurt as much as the nobbers in large vehicles who pull up alongside on one's right at junctions.
Not really confusing. I meant primarily most frequent, and it is by far. But to be honest it's also probably main in the other sense. A cyclist passing very close (and i mean very) with no bell or call, and sometimes, well quite often, on the inside, can easily send you to the floor or under a truck. Of course a collision with a car is likely to be more serious than with a bike but that's not the point. It isn't a crime to drive a car. It is "criminal" to ride/drive like a nob, and i hate to say it but i find london cyclists more guilty of this. I could give examples, some very recent.

mjr

A cyclist passing very close (and i mean very) with no bell or call, and sometimes, well quite often, on the inside, can easily send you to the floor or under a truck. Of course a collision with a car is likely to be more serious than with a bike but that's not the point. It isn't a crime to drive a car. It is "criminal" to ride/drive like a nob, […]
You don't need the quotes. It is criminal.

I'm probably slightly cavalier about this because I'm about six foot and on an upright bike. I've never been taken off by a close pass and even if they (EDIT: a cyclist) hit me, I'd fancy my chances at staying on against most of the lightweights on lightweights who do nobbery like overtaking on the left without warning. Not so keen on testing myself against a truck or coach, though. I expect the criminal cyclists are scarier to others who are on more typical bikes. I have ridden around London on a road bike and I did find it more difficult.

Last edited:

biking_fox

Guru
At night the Proviz -360 jackets work very well and making all of you glow like a star, and does keep drivers further out. Riding faster helps too for some reason. Not sure if it's the smaller speed differential feels safer, or that drivers just don't pass closer when you're fast.

At night the Proviz -360 jackets work very well and making all of you glow like a star, and does keep drivers further out. Riding faster helps too for some reason. Not sure if it's the smaller speed differential feels safer, or that drivers just don't pass closer when you're fast.
I think it maybe because they see you as a tad unpredictable and a force to be reckoned with. If approaching a junction where I think some waiting driver may be tempted to pull out or cross my path I often speed up, or appear to. I can also recommend the well judged wobble/joyful swerving from side to side. Totally reasonable.

Last edited:

Brains

Legendary Member
A meter long welding rod carried sideways is good.
Any car passing too close will get a long scratch/weld down the side, which will take more than a bit of paint and polish to remove!

mjr

Having come back to this, it seems a few people do make themselves wider with a pole or similar - but what are the legal implications if a vehicle did get scratched?
I'd expect precisely none if they crash into you, especially if it's daylight or the extremity has a reflector or light on it. I feel it's probably a good idea to run a camera so you can prove that you didn't swerve into them, though.

I'm not sure of the advantages of a pole, unless it's quite bendy. Assuming they are going to pass as closely to the end of the pole as they would to you, the risk of contact is similar, and if the force of the contact is passed along pole to your bike, you are going to fall just as hard. The advantage is you are less likely to fall under the wheels, but the disadvantage is make you feel safer without making your actually safer.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I did a shortish jourrney through E17 a few months ago with a garden strimmer slung across my back. Didn't get any of the usual tailgating, revving, attempted close passes that I'd usually expect, but if I was going to do that regularly I'd probably invest in a padded shoulder strap
Reminds me of something Graeme Obree wrote. (I paraphrase from memory) If you ride around with a garden fork strapped to your bike you will get more respect from other road users as they will see you as a hard working gardener rather than a cyclist. IIRC he made no mention of the deterrent effect of fork tines.

Top Bottom