Preventing close passes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was thinking thinking something like a seed drill dropping drawing pins.
That will only take out cyclists. You need one of these

slide_two.jpg

Reactions: mjr
I think it maybe because they see you as a tad umpredctable and a force to be reckoned with. If approaching a junction where I think some waiting driver may be tempted to pull out or cross my path I often speed up, or appear to. I can also recommend the well judged wobble/joyful swerving from side to side. Totally reasonable.
I'm a big fan of the intentional wobble/swerve.

I'm not sure of the advantages of a pole, unless it's quite bendy. Assuming they are going to pass as closely to the end of the pole as they would to you, the risk of contact is similar, and if the force of the contact is passed along pole to your bike, you are going to fall just as hard. The advantage is you are less likely to fall under the wheels, but the disadvantage is make you feel safer without making your actually safer.
I didn't think brains was entirely serious.

Sharky

Guru
[QUOTE 4581466, member: 9609"]was there not something 10 or 20 years ago whwere cyclist had little red marker boards that stuck out to their right ?

.[/QUOTE]

I fitted one of those to my daughters bike. Worked great until she did a university year in Germany and took her bike with and I forgot to switch the red marker thing to the other side. I'm sure the hospitals were full of pedestrians needing knee surgery.

A "nobber cyclist" thread might be a good idea - location, what said "nobber" did - always the chance they may at least lurk on here, recognise themselves, and, just possibly, change their ways and act like a road user/share the space-not grab it.

Dan B

Disengaged member
It wasn't directed at brains, but all the suggestions. I picked "pole" as a generic word. Even finding a pool noodle stiff enough not to sag towards the road but bendy enough not cause a crash if a car brushed it would be a challenge.
If you mount the pool noodle diagonally pointing upwards, it surely doesn't matter as much if it sags a bit, as long as it doesn't actually meet the road

Top Bottom