Prevention is better than a hernia - stopping an aluminium seatpost sticking in a steel frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
However, the hacksaw job now looks even more attractive. That wasn't pretty.

It's exactly that sort of palaver I'm trying to avoid :smile:

Grease promotes corrosion? Nonsense. That bobbins new fangled lithium gak you may have a point but proper heavy grease?

Youre going nowhere near my bike. Especially not with freakin vaseline.

I'll use organic coconut oil when doing your bike but I'm still awaiting you to point out the flaw in the argument. The grease on the seatpost inside the frame has a direct effect on the corrosion. Believe it or not. Just ask Ripley.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I'll use organic coconut oil when doing your bike but I'm still awaiting you to point out the flaw in the argument. The grease on the seatpost inside the frame has a direct effect on the corrosion. Believe it or not. Just ask Ripley.

ill be honest with you i don't have the time or the inclination to counter your point with reasoned debate. Perhaps i should have stalled my initial response.

However that does not preclude it being hogwash.

Drago

Legendary Member
Bollocks.

An unfortunately all too typical Cyclechat response from someone with no manners. If you disagree with someone then say so politely and state your reasons. This foul mouthed imbelcilic behaviour is all to prevalent around these parts.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Bike shop near me uses what they call 'carbon paste', which seems to do a decent job of gripping and lubing, or preventing seizure.

Could the OP reduce the size of his seat post with some fine emery paper?

Finish might be nothing to look at, but most of the post will be hidden in the frame.

Drago

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3528148, member: 9609"]but would they not expand into salts and cause it all to seize up.
[/QUOTE]if left.long enough it ultimately mayd so, but the process takes much longer than oxidation through emulsification of water and grease. Tis why I use moly, much more inert.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If grease is not water soluble how come water washes it out of bottom bracket and wheel bearings?
Grease is an emulsion of soap and oil and in fact if you get mucky hands working on cars or cycles the best way to get them clean is to massage some grease into your hands then wipe it off onto a cloth before you wash them.
BTW I worked for a while in a factory that made grease in 1,000 gallon horizontal churns back in 1979, (the soap they used was 'Diamond Soft Soap' and stunk of fish) we then packed it into 45 gallon drums with a loose top held on by a ring clamp, I think it was on contract for Castrol but it was a long time ago.

Top Bottom