Price Fixing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BearPear

Veteran
I have been doing some virtual window-shopping, looking in particular at ideas for my first road bike. The one I have in mind is a Specialized Dolce Sport 2010 women's bike, and everywhere the price is the same - £679.

Is price-fixing common on the current models, or do I just need to shop around a bit more?

e-rider

crappy member
Yes, all bikes have a list price or SRP which is fixed.

However, it's usually quite easy on the web to find a seller offering 5% or 10% discount and then most larger retailers will match that price. This gives you some freedom to get a good price and choose who you want to buy the bike from.

Towards the end of the season prices drop to 30-50% off and sometimes a little more, but only on remaining stock which usually means limited sizes/colour options.

Roadkill

It's fixed for advertising but negotiable thereafter. We just bought a Giant Avail 2 that was listed at £825 in every retailer for £717... just by asking

Moodyman

Legendary Member
My LBS charges RRP, but if you offer to pay the whole amount in cash, they usually drop the price by 10-15%.

As the tundra said, buy in autumn and the previous year's model, and you can get a significant discount. I bought a 2007 model in December 09 and got it about 60% cheaper than the price of the 2010 model. They wanted to get rid before the 2010 stock arrived.

Other than vanity, there's little difference between one year's model and another's.

Top Bottom